If you live in a tornado-prone area, you might want Tornado -- American Red Cross on your Android phone or tablet. This informative free app helps users prepare for possible tornado outbreaks, issues alerts, and even finds shelters and emergency services if need be. It also teaches about tornadoes and even quizzes (and rewards) your knowledge.
Educational achievements: This app teaches the science of tornadoes, famous historic tornadoes, and other information. You can quiz yourself to win Achievements certifying your knowledge.
Emergency tools: Tapping the briefcase icon opened a full menu of Emergency Tools, including a Flashlight, strobe light, alarm, test siren, and First Aid.
Other extras: An animated weather map with multiple Satellite and Standard views is just one of this app's useful extras. Others include a Shelters finder, customizable Alerts, and many more Red Cross resources, courses, FAQs, and links.
It's a twister! If everything you know about tornadoes comes from "The Wizard of Oz," this informative, well-made app probably won't be as exciting as it should be, especially if you live in or near Tornado Alley.
Warmer: In this new and unsettling variation of the" hot-or-cold" directions game, the tornadoes get nearer as you get warmer. Tornadoes are already occurring in unusual places due to climate change, a trend likely to accelerate. Be prepared!
Tornado is one of a series of free or inexpensive weather and emergency preparedness apps from the American Red Cross. It's a great learning resource, but it could be a lifesaver, too.
We've fixed some crashes you may have been experiencing.
Get your family and home ready for a tornado. The American Red Cross tornado app is the complete solution you need to understand and prepare for a tornado and all that comes with it. With interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it's never been easier to be ready!
Ahora disponible en espanol.
- Easy to use Spanish language toggle to switch translation directly inside the app.
- Audible siren when NOAA issues a Tornado warning for any of your monitored locations letting you know when it's time to go to your safe room plus an all-clear alert when the warning expires (Note: Alerts' sounds will NOT override if phone is on vibrate or in sleep mode)
- Simple step-by-step instructions to help you know what-to-do even if the cell towers and TVs are down. Prioritized actions for before, during, and after requires no mobile connectivity
- Help distant friends and family in tornado alley with ability to receive tornado watch and warning alerts based on their location from NOAA
- Red Cross location-based open shelters map for when you need it most
- Be ready should a tornado hit by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation
- Reduce your household's stress and anxiety should a tornado hit by learning to make and practice an emergency plan
- Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your tornado knowledge
- Know how many tornadoes have occurred in your area
- Know the difference between a watch and a warning
- Learn how to deal with food and water impacted by floods and power outages
- Simply let friends/family know you're safe with customizable "I'm Safe" notification sharable thru social media, text and email
- Let others know where you are with the Toolkit's strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions
Copyright (c) 2013-2014 The American National Red Cross