The Royal Connaught Boat Club was established in the year 1868 under the name Poona Boat Club on the bank of the river Mula-Mutha. Utilizing the lake waters of a Bund constructed in 1850 for just upstream of the Fitzgerald bridge.
Two existing boat clubs namely Kirkee Boat Club & R. A. Boat Club assimilated in the years 1883 & 1888 respectively. The Club was renamed as the Poona Royal Connaught Boat Club in 1889 to honour his Royal highness the Duke of Connaught, the Commander-In Chief of the Bombay Army. He took keen interest in the Club activities. Even after he left India, he visited the Club during his subsequent visit to the subcontinent on 25th February 1921. Such was the bond between the Club & its Patrons.
For the second time, the Club name was changed to Royal Connaught Boat Club in 1928. The word Poona was deleted permanently as by then the Club was well known in the city.