- Updated to latest Swift 4.0.3
Swift is a new multi-paradigm, compiled programming language developed by Apple for iOS and OS X development.
Swift is a fantastic way to write software, whether its for phones, desktops, servers, or anything else that runs code. Its a safe, fast, and interactive programming language that combines the best in modern language thinking with wisdom from the wider Apple engineering culture and the diverse contributions from its open-source community. The compiler is optimized for performance and the language is optimized for development, without compromising on either.
Swift is friendly to new programmers. Its an industrial-quality programming language thats as expressive and enjoyable as a scripting language. Writing Swift code in a playground lets you experiment with code and see the results immediately, without the overhead of building and running an app.
- Introduced at Apple's developer conference WWDC 2014
- Swift is designed to replace Objective-C
- Swift is intended to be more resilient against erroneous code
- Uses the Objective-C runtime, allowing Objective-C, Objective-C++ and Swift code to run within a single program
For more details on Swift: https://developer.apple.com/swift/