As very valuable real estate, the home screen of a mobile device contains a user's favorite widgets and the most frequently-visited applications and allows quick access to information. All of these, however, take up a lot of space. Sidebar Lite comes in handy because it allows an extra strip of app icons. It can quickly be accessed, but is normally hidden.
Sidebar Lite loads immediately and requires no additional setup other than adding applications to the strip. The bar, itself, is accessed by simply swiping the left edge of the screen inward. The sidebar has a translucent look to it and displays the icons exactly as they appear on the home screen. At the bottom of the bar, a green plus sign allows the user to add more icons. Once the add button has been activated, a black drop-down menu appears that lists all the applications that are currently installed on the device. After a program is selected it will appear on the sidebar. To remove the icon from the sidebar the user depresses the icon and holds until a small menu appears. This menu allows the user to edit or delete the application from the bar. Widgets such as GPS toggle, Wi-Fi toggle, sound control, and brightness can also be placed on the bar. During our testing, the app performed perfectly and had no visible bugs. This app is free but comes with some limitations. There is also a Pro version available with a full set of features.
Sidebar Lite adds usability and personalization to any Android device. It's also bug-free, uses very few resources, and never lags. Almost every Android user will find it useful.
- New tutorial
- Refreshed backend and UI
Sidebar Lite - A brilliant new way to multitask on Android
"Minimalistic, non-intrusive, and very functional" - XDA Developer TV
"The greatest discovery you will make" - Android Authority
It's fast, functional, fluid, and customizable to your liking. Populate the sidebar with your favorite apps, and simply swipe in from the edge of the screen to gain instant access to the apps you use most. Simple - yet elegant.
- Pin apps & toggles to the Sidebar (Limited to 8 total)
- Live running apps and running indicators (Pro)
- Task management allows killing running apps (swipe running apps out to kill them) (Pro)
- Customized colors, opacity, sizes, and positions (Pro)
- Starts on boot
- Minimal RAM fingerprint and affect on battery life
- Ongoing notification can be disabled(4.1+) / made invisible (Pro)
- Many widgets to choose from (Home, App Drawer, Wi-Fi, Mobile Data, Bluetooth, GPS, Sound, Rotation, Brightness, Torch, Play/Pause/Skip music)
Sidebar Pro lifts the limitations put on the lite version and opens access to new customizability as well as functionality - elevating sidebar, to its most impeccable and pure state.
Sidebar Pro offers the full set of features.
- Unlimited items!
- Right side swipe!
- Live Running apps!
- Live Running indicators!
- Task Management!
- Lock items!
- Custom icons!
- Full settings!
- Adjust width!
- Adjust opacity!
- Choose color scheme!
- Disable notification! (Hidden by default on rooted devices)
Sidebar is in constant development. Development began as soon as the idea stemmed well before the debut of Ubuntu Phone and recent such apps. The developer ensures a smooth and polished experience. User experience & simplicity are key tp making Sidebar the perfect multitasking app for Android. Follow the development on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2152373
- Sidebar won Best Application at CodeDay Seattle hosted by StudentRND.
- Sidebar was showcased on the front page of XDA as well as on XDA TV
- Sidebar was also the best among Android Authority's Top 7 Apps of the week
- Sidebar was reviewed by AddictiveTips
- Sidebar was reviewed by LifeHacker
- Sidebar won the showdown with a competitor on XDA TV!
It prevents Android from killing Sidebar. Without it, sidebar could not run forever in the foreground and would eventually be closed.
Camera: The torch widget requires full access to the camera in order to function.
Network: The toggles for Wi-Fi and Mobile Network require network permissions