NGO A Colony, Tirunelveli 627 007
Palayamkottai, Oxford of South India is a town in the Tirunelveli District of Tamil Nadu, situated on the Eastern bank of the perennial river Thamirabarani while its twin city Tirunelveli on the Western bank.
Our Lady of perpetual Succour (Sahaya Matha) of very ancient origin, was first venerated in the island of Crete near Greece from whence it was carried to Rome since 1499 and having been popularised among many cultures and several titles in different languages.
The painting of Sahaya Matha depicted amidst two arc Angels, conveys hope and an assurance of help to all those who in identical circumstances appeal to her. A plea in her eyes can be witnessed which communicates the message stating, not to hurt her Son, more by sin and thereby she shall help them by His goodness.
With the help of 9 Church Council Members, Rev. Fr. Jeyapathy initiated the maiden Holy Mass in a small hamlet on 25th December 1969.In spite of many hurdles, Rev.Fr.Durai Raj, the then Parish Priest marched ahead by inviting Rev.Fr.Adaikalam to lay the foundation stone for constructing a new church on 14-07-1973. Due to various reasons the delayed church construction was completed with the enormous help of Rev.Fr.ArokiyaSwamy and blessed with Holy Mass by Most.Rev.S.Irutharaj Bishop of Tirunelveli, on 31-10-1976.
On 04-04-1986, the Most.Rev.S.Irutharaj, Bishop of Tirunelveli declared the independence of this Jawahar Nagar Parish as 25th Parish of Tirunelveli Diocese on the occasion of his silver jubilee ORDINATION. A meaningful GROTTO, erected by Rev.Fr.Sagayadasan, attracts people irrespective of their religious belief.
Rev.Fr.Anthony Sawmy took enormous effort to reconstruct the entrance of the church from Northern to Southern side with 2 remarkable belfry on either side that summed around 50 Lakh was blessed by Most.Rev.Jude Paul Raj, Bishop of Tirunelveli on 25-02-2001.
At present, this Parish consists of 600 families with 1300 members and 6 sub stations divided into 12 Basic Christian communities to serve the needy and the Parish.
Under the guidance of many eminent Parish Priests, the church plays a vital role in the growth of spiritual development of its members life and the society.