SITE ASSESS is a free, secure mobile application (app) designed specifically for education agencies allows personnel to walk around buildings and grounds and examine their safety, security, accessibility, and emergency preparedness. Users select whether they are conducting a site assessment at a K-12 school or institution of higher education (IHE) and are directed to the section that is optimized for that setting according to its unique characteristics. This site assessment app generates a customized to-do list that may be used in the short term and long term to address facility improvements, prompts teams to share pertinent information with first responders, and contains relevant resources on several education facility and preparedness topics. The Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center, administered by the U.S. Department of Educations Office of Safe and Healthy Students, developed SITE ASSESS to do the following:
- Store images directly within the app;
- Provide critical information about potential threats and hazards, which may be used by the planning team as they develop the sites emergency operations plan;
- Allow teams to add customized questions to and delete preloaded questions from the site assessment for their use, taking into account state and local requirements;
- Export data into a Word document or Excel worksheet for data aggregation and analysis and/or recordkeeping;
- Equip practitioners with information and knowledge about fundamental site assessment topics, such as Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) and universal design;
- Collect information that will aid IHE personnel with fulfilling Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requirements; and
- Complement and support mitigation, prevention, protection, recovery, and response activities.
Neither the REMS TA Center nor the U.S. Department of Education will see, collect, or store any data users enter into SITE ASSESS, besides the basic contact information that is collected upon initial registration. Any and all information entered into the mobile app is stored on the mobile device and not on the REMS TA Centers or U.S. Department of Educations Website or server. As such, the U.S. Department of Education and the REMS TA Center are not responsible for any damages resulting from the loss or theft of that information. Please note that certain optional mobile app features may transmit data.