Painters can select colors from images and have the opaque paint mixing recipe computed! Great for art students, painters with color vision difficulties or for those working in the painting conservation and restoration fields. Paint, time and money waste can be greatily reduced!
Many Color Spaces are included: sRGB, Display P3, CMYK, HSL, HSV/B, Lab, Lch-ab, Luv, Lch-uv, XYZ, xyY and Munsell coordinates. The Munsell coordinates are computed from the original and extrapolated Renotation Data with great precision even around the neutral axis.
RealPaint includes one Ideal Paint set and many measured Paint Sets of well-known paint makers:
1. ideal set
2. Acrylic Studio ColoursbyVallejo
3. Artists' OilsbyWinsor&Newton
4. Artisanwater mixable Oils byWinsor&Newton
5. Conservation ColorsbyGamblin
6. Designers GouachebyWinsor&Newton
7. Ferrario 1919byFerrario
9. Georgian OilsbyDaler-Rowney
10. Grumbacher MAX water mixable Oils by Chartpak
11. Grumbacher Pre-tested Professional Oils by Chartpak
12. Heavy Body ArtistbyLiquitex
13. Heavy Body Acrylic byGolden
14. Matte Fluid AcrylicbyGolden
15. Norma ProfessionalOils bySchmincke
16. Pen ColorbyFerrario
19. Professional AcrylicsbyWinsor&Newton
20. Rembrandt Extra-Fine Oils byTalens (2012)
21. Rembrandt Extra-Fine Oils by Talens (2019)
22. System3 Original AcrylicsbyDaler-Rowney
23. Van GoghOils byRoyal Talens
RealPaint includes 8 paint bases of each Paint Set. Once you've selected your Paint Line, you can purchase the 8 bases wherever you like and use them for all your paintings. The 6 colored bases of each Paint Set were optimized to cover the widest possible OPAQUE color space offering you as many as possible mixable colors.
The apps of the "Real Paint mixing tools" family use measured paint spectral information of painted samples. Big part of the RGB/P3 space can be mixed, but not all RGB/P3 colors. This is not a limitation of the apps, just physics. There are also many colors which can be mixed even if they don't belong to the RGB/P3 color space (you can find these by varying manually the paint amount on the "mixing" page).
Paint recipes can be obtained using several Mixing Strategies:
- B and W + 2 Colors: a gray is mixed using Black and White first, then 2 colored bases set Hue and Saturation.
- B or W + 3 Colors: 3 colored bases are used to set Hue and Saturation and Black OR White set the Value
- at least one opaque: all possible opaque mixing combinations are shown
- no Black used: opaque mixing combinations without Black
- all bases at once: one recipe is computed using all bases at once (result is usually not unique and opacity is not guaranteed)
Each recipe can be Exact or Rounded:
- Exact recipe means that each base has an amount with a precision of 0.01 units. If you need % values of each paint base amount, just enter 100 as amount. Exact setting is helpful for weight based measurements using a scale.
- Rounded recipe means that each base has an integer number as amount. The recipe will have the minimum possible overall amount computed adding all paint base amounts. The rounded recipes are useful for volume based measurements, like drops, using spoons or squared paper with paint squeezed directly from tubes.
Digital images usually don't fit into the color gamut of real paint sets. RealPaint can find an approximated (de)saturation value of an image to fit it into the selected Paint Set color gamut with the current mixing parameters. The value is approximated, because it is based on heuristics, but it is usually a very good approximation.
Please note that color of paint coming from different batches of the manufacturer can vary, so mix small amounts first to be sure that computed recipes meet your needs!
Please check the video tutorials on youtube by searching for "Real Paint mixing tools" to see how to use the app in your paintings.