"We were surprised at how motivated our daughter was as she literally ran around the house shouting, 'What's next?' after each activity. We laughed and smiled as we tried to keep up with her racing to the next thing she needed from the checklist. We were amazed and realized this was exactly what we needed to get her out of the house, prepared and on time." - mom & dad, co-creators of the app
After looking on the App Store for a basic, easy to use reminder app, it was clear there was a need for something simple and refined that could be used to remind our daughter what she needed before heading out the door. As a former classroom and technology resource teacher, a chart or checklist designed for personalization is a staple for supporting childrens' organizational development. Since learning design principles are always a part of my planning, we made sure the app would accommodate all learners following the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles.
- Checkpoint 2.5 | National Center On Universal Design for Learning: illustrates content through media such as images, animation, sounds and symbols http://www.udlcenter.org/research/researchevidence/checkpoint2_5
- Checkpoint 6.2 | National Center On Universal Design for Learning: concept mapping - ideas associated with planning and strategy http://www.udlcenter.org/research/researchevidence/checkpoint6_2
- Checkpoint 9.2 | National Center On Universal Design for Learning: in order to develop effective self-regulatory skills, students must be exposed to varied strategies reminders, models, checklists and so forth that will help them to identify the coping mechanisms for managing the emotions that work best for them
Ready2Go can serve many purposes including class teaching and student achievement.
Parents can benefit from using this super simple app too!
This app is perfect for fostering:
- independence & responsibility,
- quick transitioning,
- communication to connect one another,
- organizational skills,
- planning skills,
- informed decision making,
- intrinsic motivation, and
- seamless use of technology (if she already has her iPad out, why make her go to a wall chart? And what's more, this "wall chart" is portable and can be taken on the go along with your child's device!)
The beauty of this app is its simplicity for setup and use. It's intentionally simple so even the youngest users can take ownership for the setup of their own activities and checklists. It syncs and can be used across multiple devices on the same iCloud account. Use it for multiple purposes! We've thought of some, but we know everyone will come up with even more creative prep ideas:
- recipe prep,
- relative's home visit,
- and much more!
- Use it with to help your child learn to organize the activities and checklists (it even helped me to better organize)
- Use it to organize any activity, big or small, to connect with your child.
- Use it as a review.
- Use it when transitioning between activities or classes.
- Use it just before you walk out the door to be Ready2Go for that activity.
- Use it to see your child's accomplishments.
Our family enjoyed creating this app and we hope you and the people you care about are just as enamored as we have been with watching the growth and motivation happen with our daughter.
Please go to our website to provide feedback at http://ready2goapp.weebly.com/contact.html or contact me on Twitter at @Krissie_Marie. We would love to hear from you.
Get Ready2Go with confidence knowing you and your child are prepared for the day!