NOTE: Requires additional hardware and a commercial license for Pelion Device Management
Crucial Device Management Capabilities to Onboard, Control and Manage Devices Using IoT Gateways
Gateways play a critical role in IoT networks by acting as a bridge between local wired and wirelessly connected devices, and in many cases running local applications to control devices. Enterprises deploying gateways with Device Management Edge can be assured of high uptime and ability to recover quickly from hardware failure through rich gateway management capabilities. They will be able to create and deploy simple rules across their network to manage IoT device endpoints uninterrupted, even if the gateway loses connectivity to the cloud.
Pelion Device Management Edge is a product that enables you to connect a variety of devices to Device Management. Examples of such devices are:
- Existing legacy devices that use a protocol, such as BACNet, Modbus and Zigbee.
- Non-IP based devices, such as Bluetooth LE.
- Devices with a limited memory footprint that cannot host a full Device Management Client.
- Edge lets you connect all these devices to Device Management, so you can manage them and their resources remotely and locally. The Edge Protocol Translator API is protocol agnostic, so anything your gateway connects with can be connected to Edge. The Edge Management API can be used to create local management applications which can manage connected devices with and without Device Management connectivity.
The Pelion Device Management Edge Gateway Manager app enabled field engineers to interact with Pelion Device Management Edge Gateways. It provides the following features:
- Dashboard displaying resources for each gateway
- Device control
- View user access logs
- View a list of alerts generated on the gateway
- Supports a light and dark theme
For further information, see the description of Pelion Device Management Edge here:
- Product Overview: https://www.arm.com/products/iot/pelion-iot-platform/device-management/edge
- Documentation: https://cloud.mbed.com/docs/current/connecting/device-management-edge.html