Token Board is a customizable app to motivate children to learn and complete tasks. It is a visual reward system for children with special needs and children of all ages and abilities. A token economy is a system of behavior modification based on the systematic reinforcement of target behaviors. The reinforcers are symbols or "tokens" that can be exchanged for rewards. Rewards are given after a number of tokens are earned. A token economy is based on the principles of operant conditioning and is used in applied behavior analysis (ABA) with children with autism spectrum disorders.
The app provides the children with visual information about when they can earn their reward using a set number of earned tokens.
A Token Board consists of:
- A Reward image showing what the child is working for.
- Token Images showing the progress towards earning the reward.
- An optional Sound which plays when the child earns a token.
- Create a list of names for the children using the app and save their favorite tokens, rewards, and sounds.
- Version 2.0 allows you to save favorite Token Images, Reward Images and Sounds for every child in the list.
- Token and Reward Images come preloaded with a set of child friendly images.
- Token Sounds come preloaded with a set of child friendly encouraging sounds.
- Take photos from within the app or import your favorite Token and Reward images from your Camera Roll.
- Record your own sound from within the app.
- The app contains an Image Editor to allow you to customize the look of your own Token and Reward Images. The editor lets you combine photos, text, hand drawings and fun stickers to create a custom image to use in the Token Board.
- Save your progress and come back to a board in a later session, to assign more tokens.
- The app is used by over 50,000 parents and therapists.