Concerned about the steady decline in the number of bees and butterflies around the word? Now there is something you can do to help!
Download Lawn to Wildflowers and convert your time-consuming yard into a pollinator-friendly, easy-to-maintain wildflower beauty.
Its a project that you can enjoy with your kids, while you learn together.
Designed to help you understand the types of plants and insects that are native to your region of the world, this app focuses on learning to identify different native plants and the types of pollinators they attract. If you live in the southeast region of the US, you will have a very different pool of pollinators outside your door than in the northwestern part of the country.
This app is designed to help you focus on the plant and pollinator species in your area. And once you master your area, you can start to learn about others, with information about all of the major regions in the US and lower Canada.
Participate in a practical science project that makes your yard much easier to maintain while benefiting your area. Conceived by a team at the Department of Biology at the University of Central Florida, the Lawn to Wildflower has three goals:
- Encourage a national transition to grow more natural lawns with native wildflowers
- Teach about bees and insects native to your area
- Collect data to analyze how effective lawn-to-wildflower plots are for different regions
In the Lawn to Wildflowers app youll find:
- Pollinator ID Game: Build your knowledge about plants and pollinators in your area. Each level shows you 10 images with multiple choice answers. As the game gets more difficult, your ability to identify plants and insects from a distance will improve.
- Pollinator Count: Provide data about your progress in converting your yard into a pollinator-friendly place. We will use that data to help us better understand pollinator patterns throughout the regions.
- Pollinator Guide: Study different pollinators with full-color images and details that help you understand and identify the pollinators you come across in your backyard and throughout the local environment.
- Plot Methods: Step-by-step instructions on methods for creating your own Lawn-to-Wildflower plot.
- Wildflower Guide: Learn about indigenous plants in your area.
- Plot Registration: Share information about your personal Lawn to Wildflower project.
- Purchase Seeds: Find seeds for indigenous wildflowers that will thrive and boost pollinator populations in your area.