The Learning Arches are a method for designing transparent, collaborative and experiential learning journeys. Learning Arches unlock student engagement and ownership by promoting an act > learn > adapt > repeat learning style, which in turn supports a more adaptive and collaborative leadership model. The app and associated processes are the result of 6+ years of development by Simon Kavanagh and the work he has done in creating and exploring the Learning Arch Design Method.
The app is a tool for teachers, trainers and consultants designed to work along with the Kaospilot analogue processes which are available as downloads within this app along with the Learning Arch Design Manual.
Learning Arches app allows you to:
1. Generate visualisations of your learning design as a learning journey.
2. Produce high-resolution printed PDFs to share with your students, clients, faculty and stakeholders.
3. DEFINE and DESIGN learning journeys and programs from top down (curriculum inspired) or bottom up (emergent) to create new and powerful learning experiences and curricula.
4. Explore the emergence of: new combinations and grouping of content; learning styles; ideas for practice, execution and evaluation; increase engagement, transparency, ownership and relevance.
5. DEFINE how all content, learning periods and arches will be set, held and landed for maximum clarity, alignment, practice and continuity.
6. Gain confidence as a learning designer and facilitator in delivering and unpacking the learning, experience and content whilst supporting dialogue and incremental changes.
What the users say
What is a Learning Arch? Its an action-packed sequence of learning by doing; a series of challenges, launched with a bit of mystery; linked by compelling narrative; stuffed full of real-world puzzles, challenges and dilemmas, landing with a public exhibition and followed by reflection and lessons learned. Semesters, textbooks and standardized tests are no match for Learning Arches, real world challenges and lessons learned, because a soulless bureaucracy is no substitute for a fulfilling Heros Journey.
Academy Founder, USA.
The Learning Arches forced us to re-think our curriculum and thereby our existing mindset. It is a long-term process designing a new integrative and less complex curriculum, but using the Learning Arches in its total context (not only as a design technique) proves to be very powerful in making a fundamental change, in designing education that is focused at the students, and allowing teachers to (re)discover their passion and strength in their teaching profession.
Lecturers at NHL Stenden, Netherlands.
The Learning Arch method has been really useful in developing our approach to curriculum development. For our curriculum hackathons, thinking in terms of Learning Arches has enabled us to map out and envisage a complex, multi-layered process. Moreover, the principle of starting and landing the arches has resonated with us on a deep level - the need to ensure that one Learning Arch is complete before another is essential...
Co-Executive Director, UK.