While the game engine for everyone's favorite game from 1993 and its many spinoffs are open-sourced, most of its "assets" such as textures, sounds, and game levels are copyrighted and not legal to redistribute. The Freedoom project offers an alternative set of assets and game levels that are entirely original, open source, and can be used with most engines of said 1993 game. In addition, Freedoom is compatible with most of the vast library of fan-made "WADs" (i.e. game levels) as indexed in the idgames archive.
This app is a fork of nvllsvm's GZDoom-Android port. My idea for this fork was to bundle this app with the open source Freedoom (freedoom1.wad and freedoom2.wad) assets to publish a completely open source android game running on the GZDoom engine. I hope this "bundling" will allow it to reach a more diverse audience of users whom either don't own the OG awesome 1993 game or are averse to having to find and copy their legally-owned game resource files onto their phones.
Most custom wads can be played by:
1. placing them under Freedoom/config/wads
2. Selecting the desired wad from the main screen by pressing "Addons", "WADS", then your desired wad
3. hit "OK", then select the main game resource file to use (usually freedoom2.wad)
4. hit "Launch"
5. start a "new game" as usual, but you will go to custom level instead of the normal first level of the game
6. (alternate) some levels replace other maps than the first one in the game and may require use of a warp command or special launch argument to get to it
Full game mods should be placed in Freedoom/config/mods
This project is not affiliated with Id Software or parent companies, Bethesda, or any relevant publishing companies.