STEPS DONT COUNT!
The unit of measurement called the step is arbitrary and does not result in optimal physiological gain.
To achieve benefits from aerobic exercise, an individual must exercise at a certain heart rate intensity and for a certain amount of time.
Exercise needs, however, vary from one person to the next, and from one moment to the next. Furthermore, the habit of exercise is one that is difficult to achieve. Current apps that address exercise tend to be targeted to younger athlete-types, and NOT toward the people who need exercise the mostmiddle-aged and senior adults.
Dr. VigO2 uses American College of Sports Medicine guidelines to provide users with highly personalized exercise prescriptions. Instead of counting steps, Dr. VigO2 uses a unit of measurement call the EHM (Effective Heart-rate Minute). EHM is the only CDC and ACSM recommended unit of measurement in the marketplace.
HOW IT WORKS
1. Just like when visiting a doctor, a user answers questions pertinent to their health and exercise history.
2. Dr. VigO2 generates a personalized prescription, which guides the user through a 12-week aerobic exercise program. Each week the user gets a new prescription, based upon their results from the preceding week(s).
3. Dr. VigO2 reminds the user of a scheduled exercise session. Once exercise is initiated, Dr. VigO2 collects the users heart rate data and tabulates the minutes of exercise that qualify as being beneficial to physiological health.
* When a users heart-rate is too slow, Dr. VigO2 alerts him/her to increase their intensity.
* When a users heart rate is too fast, Dr. VigO2 alerts him/her to slow down.
* When the prescribed number of EHM are met, Dr. VigO2 alertsand rewardsthe user.
Dr. VigO2 is a platform that goes beyond friends and family. Dr. VigO2 allows users to share their exercise history and in-the-moment heart rate data with the people who care for them. Spouses, children, friends, and other health advocatesdoctors, physical therapists, dietitians, etc.will be able to follow, encourage, and reward the user.
Daisy wakes up and checks her phone. Dr. VigO2 reminds her that she is scheduled to accumulate 25 Effective Heart-rate Minutes (EHMs) on this day.
Daisy goes for a brisk walk andafter 10 minutes of moderate exerciseshe begins accumulating EHMs. (For physiological gain, a person must exercise for at least 10 minutes!) When Daisy is in the heart rate zone Dr. VigO2 has prescribed just for her, she is notified by Dr. VigO2 that she is now exercising at an intensity level that actuallyas opposed to stepsresults in optimal health gains.
If Daisy has chosen to share her exercise, perhaps her daughter will check in and see what her mothers heart is doing in that exact moment. Thrilled at seeing her moms actual heart rate, Daisys daughter decides to send her an encouraging message.
Maybe Daisys dietitian is following Daisys exercise, too, and he sends Daisy an encouraging message. Maybe Daisybuoyed by this encouragementstarts walking faster. At a certain heart rate intensity, Daisy can receive 2 EHMs for every minute of exercise. Maybeafter 20 minutes of walkingDaisy has accumulated 25 EHMs, at which point Dr. VigO2 notifies her that she has reached her goal for the day. Maybe Daisy then can rest, comfortable in the knowledge that she has done for her health the exact thing that a doctor would have asked her to do.
For certain functionalities, such as real-time heart-rate intensity tracking, a Healthkit compatible continuous and real-time heart rate monitor is required. Chest straps are unique in that they are the only wearable device that accurately measures heart rates.
Right now, Dr. VigO2 is free to use! Download the app, receive your medically-based prescription, and begin to exercise. Invite your friends to do the same, and get healthy with company. Share your progress with your health providers.