NOTE: Many users put the photo-id of a particular photo from Facebook and complaining not synced. Please ensure you read the FAQ to understand how to find and check the correct facebookid. You may also watch the video showing how to set it up for the app to work: https://youtu.be/qEippatYDtU
Please at least read the FAQ in order to understand how this app works.
Starting with May 2015, Facebook permanently removed the ability to retrieve the complete friend list. So most of the apps used to sync Facebook profile photo are broken.
This app does NOT retrieve your friend list. You need the put the Facebook ID or the Instagram ID in ONE of the following format:
1. Put the Facebook id in the "IM" field of your contact with custom type "Facebook" (Recommended)
2. Put the Instagram Id in the "IM" field of your contact with custom type "Instagram" (Recommended)
3. Put the Facebook id in the "Notes" field of your contact with the format:
4. Put the numeric Facebook id in the "IM" field of your contact with type "Jabber" in this format: email@example.com (Not recommended for all users, only for compatible with Empathy XMPP client)
E.g. The Facebook profile page of David Beckham is: https://www.facebook.com/Beckham
and the Facebook ID of David Beckham is 84218631570. Therefore, I can put "Beckham" or "84218631570" (both without quotes) in the "IM" field in contact and set the custom type of the "IM" field with "Facebook". This app will then download the profile photo in the next sync.
Version 1.3.3 onwards add support for upload the photos back to Google Contacts. Just choose the sync type as "Google" to use this function. Please pay attention that the original photo on the Google Contact will be overwrite by this app if you choose "Google" as sync type.
1. Why no contact is synced?
This app uses the Facebook ID/Instagram ID you put in the your contac to sync profile photo. If there is no correct Facebook ID/Instagram ID, no contact is synced.
2. How to find the numeric Facebook ID of a facebook user?
If you "view the source" of a facebook user's profile page, you can find the Facebook ID by looking up "profile_id". Anyway, I highly recommend to use the service provided by http://findmyfbid.com/ to find the Facebook ID for you. It is much more easy for general users.
3. How can I check if I get the facebookid correctly?
You may check if the facebookid is correct by browsing to http://graph.facebook.com/facebookid/picture.
For the Beckham example, you can browse to https://graph.facebook.com/84218631570/picture and you will find that you can view the profile picture of Beckham.
4. Do the contact need to be my Facebook friend or Instagram friend in order to sync the contact photo?
No. All you need is to put the correct Facebook Id/Instagram Id in "IM" field in your local/Google contact with corresponding custom type "Facebook"/"Instagram". Even the contact is not your Facebook/Instagram friend, the sync still works.
5. Is my connection and account secure?
Yes, this application uses a secure connection (HTTPS) and stores nothing outside of your phone.
6. Do I need to setup the facebookid one by one?
Unfortunately, yes. Facebook does not allow any application to get your friend lists via graph API after 30Apr 2015. So all of the apps used to sync Facebook contact photo are broken. This is the best method to make contact photo sync possible.
On the other hand, if you used to have using a HTCSense device, most probably HTCSense had done for you.