The cheapest AAC app compared to others offering the same features.
Chatterboards was professionally developed, in collaboration with Speech Therapists and end users, with the aim of providing people in need with an AAC app that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars or require monthly subscriptions.
ChatterBoards is an easy to use Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) aid for people of any age who have speech or language difficulties. This can include people with autism, aphasia, apraxia, stroke, downs syndrome, or any other disability that causes the individual to have difficulties in communicating or expressing their needs.
Continually updated with new features and enhancements. All suggestions and/or requests are considered.
Full feature list:
- Create and use vocabulary boards, including multiple paged vocabularies, for forming sentences.
- Create and use basic phrase boards which associate a basic full phrase/sentence to an individual button, providing quick responses or questions for basic communication needs.
- All board dimensions supported up to and included 8x8 (rows x columns) per page.
- Fully customisable buttons. Change their text, colour (border and background), image and audio playback
- Change a buttons image from either your devices photo library, camera, or from over 4000 sample symbols.
- Includes over 3500 symbols provided by Mulberry Symbols (https://mulberrysymbols.org/)
- Includes over 500 symbols designed by Freepik and distributed by Flaticon.
- Save images from the internet, or from your own symbol libraries, into your photo library for use.
- Supports text-only and image-only buttons.
- Fully customisable button audio. Use the Text to Speech synthesiser or record your own voice(s) using your devices microphone.
- Text to Speech supports all iOS packaged languages (over 50 languages/dialects). Includes multiple male and female voices for English.
- Change rate, pitch and/or volume of Text to Speech synthesiser.
- Set App wide voice/language, rate, pitch and volume default values for the Text to Speech synthesiser.
- Fully customisable boards. Change dimensions anytime, add, delete and move buttons as desired.
- Copy existing boards to create new permutations
- Share boards with other users of ChatterBoards. Use Apple AirDrop, Mail, Message, or any other valid installed application on your device.
- Supports both iPhone and iPad
Sample review from a Speech Therapist:
"I'm a Speech and Language Therapist working in the UK, and have been using this app with several of my clients. There is much to love about it. It's simple to use. You can easily add your own images, text and audio; you can also use the in-built text to speech facility, with the options of selecting the language you want (making it great for SLTs working in multi-lingual communities) as well as modifying the speech rate and pitch. The app automatically selected UK English, presumably being sensitive to geography. You can produce as many boards as you want and can decide how many tiles you want to a board. You can easily drag the tiles around the board to change their position. You can also make copies of a board to experiment with modifications without losing the original. So far the app has proved to be extremely stable, with no crashes. All in all this is a great communication board app and represents excellent value for money. I look forward to the next update. Highly recommended."
Also a number of Arasaac Symbols are included as samples (approx. 20).
These pictograms used are property of Aragon Goberment and have been created by Sergio Palao to ARASAAC (http://arasaac.org) which distribute them under Creative Commons License (BY-NC-SA)