1. Why do we get acne?
2. How does an acne pimple form?
2'. Why is my acne flaring up today?
3. What are the causes of acne?
4. What causes hyperseborrhea?
5. How do comedones form?
6. Which microbe is the acne bacterium?
7. Why does adolescent acne clear up?
8. Why does adult acne persist?
9. Which are the atypical forms of acne and what is risked by not recognizing them?
10. What are the local treatments for acne?
11. What are the oral/systemic drug treatments for acne?
12. What are the treatment strategies and their limitations?
13. How do dermocosmetics fit in?
14. What about acne and contraception?
15. What about acne and hygiene?
16. What about radiation: sun, UV, lasers, photodynamic therapy
17. Does diet play a role?
18. Can make-up be used on acne?
19. What is the relationship between acne and mental health?
20. Can acne be prevented?
From mechanisms to treatment, through day-to-day management, Professor Jean-Hilaire Saurat answers the essential questions about this condition and also prompts new ones.
The answers in this application have been drawn up on the basis of the most recent findings in the field of acne and are explained in layman's terms.
Jean-Hilaire Saurat is Professor Emeritus of Dermatology at the University of Geneva and former Head of the Dermatology Department of the Geneva University Hospitals. He has served as President of the International League of Dermatology Societies (ILDS), the European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR) and the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV). He leads a clinical, biological and therapeutic acne research program. The program seeks to apply the findings of the Ukraine President's case of acne due to dioxin poisoning, between 2004 and 2010, to common acne.