iVid allows you to stream compatible video files from any number of computers to your iPhone or iPod touch over WiFi, 3G, or EDGE.
Please note that to use iVid you will also need to download the free iVidSource software from http://skjm.com/ivid/
The iVidSource software supports Windows XP/Vista and Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q : What video files are compatible with iVid?
A : iVid will stream any DRM-free video file that is supported by the iPhone and iPod touch video player. This includes H.264 and MPEG-4 encoded videos with m4v, mp4, and mov extensions. For more detailed information, please visit http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
Q : What are iVid and iVidSource?
A : iVid is an application for the iPhone and iPod touch that allows you to stream compatible video files from any number of computers.
iVidSource is the free computer application that streams the video files to iVid.
Q : What do I need to do to setup and use iVid and iVidSource?
A : The steps are:
1) Download iVid to your iPhone or iPod touch and iVidSource to your computer.
2) Start iVidSource, enter a Login and Password, choose one or more folders on your computer to share, and click the Start button. iVidSource is now setup and running.
3) Start iVid on your iPhone or iPod touch, and enter the same Login and Password from Step 2.
4) Tap Done. iVid is now setup and running, and should connect to the iVidSource running on your computer. Tap on the source name to browse your shared folders and view your videos.
Repeat Step 2 for any additional computers and Steps 3 & 4 for any additional iPhones or iPod touches, being sure to use the same Login and Password for all of them.
Q : Do I have to configure my firewall or router or know what my IP address is to use iVid?
A : Nope. :)
iVid and iVidSource use the same firewall- and router-piercing technologies and algorithms used by iCam to perform zero-config peer-to-peer connections. In most situations, things should "just work" unless your network is particularly complex or restricted.
If you do have problems getting things to work, please be sure to either Contact Support or visit the Discussion Forum.
Q : Does this work if iVid is connected via EDGE or 3G or a different WiFi network than the iVidSource?
A : Yes, although high-bitrate videos will not stream well over 3G or EDGE as there is not enough download bandwidth available to support them.
Note : If you are on the move and your iPhone switches between being connected via WiFi, EDGE or 3G, you may have to tap the Reconnect button if you lose your connections as your IP address may have changed.
What's new in this version:
- iPhone or iPod touch no longer goes to sleep when video is paused.