Last Updated June 16, 2014
In an effort to create the most up-to-date, easy-to-use, and exceptional downloading experience for our users, we prohibit certain types of software and we require that publishers conduct business according to certain standards. Because software is constantly evolving, these policies are neither exhaustive nor static and may be updated at anytime.
We may decline or remove applications, in our sole discretion at anytime and for any reasons not specifically mentioned below.
Viruses, spyware, and malware
You will not upload Software that contains viruses, Trojan horses, malicious adware, spyware, or other potentially harmful components including without limitation:
- Software that installs viruses, Trojan horses, malicious adware, spyware, or other malware at any point during or after installation.
- Software that installs the above items via links to other software or Web sites.
- Software that installs without notice and the user's consent.
- Software that includes or uses surreptitious data collection.
- Software that collects and transmits information about end users or end users' computer usage without adequate prior notification.
- Software that diverts or modifies end users' default browsers, search-engine home pages, providers, security, or privacy-protection settings.
- Software that interferes with users' control and privacy.
- Links of publishers' Web sites that may enable the installation of the above items.
EULA and installation prompts
As part of your product submission, you will provide users with clear and easy to read End-User license agreement and uninstall instructions which shall allow users to cancel the installation if they do not agree to the terms. Without limitation, you will not submit:
- Software that installs in a concealed manner or denies users an opportunity to read the license agreement and/or to knowingly consent to the installation.
- Software that induces installation by making false or misleading claims about the software or the software publisher.
- Software with license agreements that do not clearly or adequately disclose critical information about the software or additional items included with the installation.
You must clearly disclosed any additional programs or third-party items included with the downloadable file during the installation process and users must be given a clear way to opt out of all additional items during installation.
Without limitation, you will not submit products which:
- Include additional programs or third-party items that are not clearly disclosed in the product description, end-user license agreement, or installation screens.
- Do not offer users the ability to opt out of or cancel the installation of additional items included with the installation.
- Include icons or shortcuts placed on a user's desktop without adequate prior disclosure or permission.
Removal and uninstallation
As part of your product submission, you will provide clear and easy to read uninstall and removal instructions regarding your product.
Without limitation, you will not submit:
- Software that requires users to give up personal information to uninstall.
- Software that cannot be properly or safely removed due to errors or other programming issues.
- Software that prevents its own uninstallation or disablement.
You are solely responsible for the quality and integrity of your product and will not submit products that do not meet the highest industry standards.
Without limitation, you will not submit:
- Software with obvious quality or stability issues (crashing, error screens).
- Alpha, beta, or prerelease software not approved for listing by an editor.
- Products that generate a significant volume of negative feedback or complaints from users.
- Software that does not meet the general highest quality industry standards.
You will not submit:
- Casino, gambling, or betting software with real wagering.
- Pornography-focused applications (for example, "porn media managers") or programs containing graphic nudity.
- Hacking and spamming tools including without limitation E-mail-extraction programs, anonymous bulk mailers, and mass-messaging IM utilities. Search-engine-manipulation and doorway-page-creation tools.
- Products that enable users to cheat in online games.
- Products that enable users to copy encrypted commercial DVDs.
- PC-monitoring applications with remote-install capabilities.
- Illegal software products.
- Products that contain, promote or link back to sites with inappropriate, offensive, or sexually explicit content.
- Programs that install proxies for ad-injection, change existing root certificate authorities, or perform any actions that might interfere with expected servers' communication authentication and compromise user's security against "man in the middle" attacks.
You shall follow the Submission Instructions available at to ensure successful submission of your product.
Copyright and trademark
You will provide links that will immediately initiate the file download.
At minimum, software products submitted to our library must be working demos, and we will only accept free products or functional trial versions that allow users to experience the software adequately. We will not accept slide shows of a product or self-running demos.
- Trials that require users to enter a credit card number.
- Passive demos (for example, slide shows or self-running demos).
- Expired trial versions or products that do not load.
Download counts and user opinions
You will not attempt to artificially affect download counts or user ratings. You are encouraged to link to product pages on our sites, but only via an approved button or badge, and may not submit reviews for your own products or solicit others to do so.
The following behaviors are prohibited:
- Running bots or scripts for the purpose of artificially influencing download counts for your product or any other product on our sites.
- Linking from your Web site directly to a download URL or post-download page on our sites.
- Posting a user review for your product or soliciting others to do so.
- Intimidating or coercing end users for any reason related to our sites user reviews.
You may post an official response to any user review of your products. Simply log in to your Publisher account, then click the "Reply to this review" link to post your response. A special designation will indicate your reply is an official response from the publisher.
You will not provide multiple, separate listings for the same product or company. We may remove or suspend listings we feel are identical or substantially similar.
Product updates and product sets
Each new version of a product may be featured in the new releases list no more than two times per month, at our sole discretion and after the new information and features have been verified by our staff. New product sets (or product lines) can only be added as new product listings, and may not be submitted as modifications to already established product sets.
Use of Logos, Trademarks and Other Copyrighted Material
We do not allow the use of Download.com logos, trademarks, and other copyrighted material of CBS Interactive Inc. without permission. You may only place an approved Download button or badge on your Web site upon our written consent.
We encourage all publishers to provide quality customer service and assist users with any issues related to the software. We may choose to remove products or publishers if we receive a significant volume of negative user feedback or complaints, or if we feel users are not being given an adequate level of customer service and support.