CNET Editors' review
This free program provides a number of helpful tools for working with digital photos. XnView's pane interface shouldn't disorient most users, as it uses a tree-like structure to let you view your shots and browse your music collection.
Our lone complaint on this front is that the more complex effects and filters aren't accessible via the main window and require you to double-click a shot before you can use them. Besides standard tools for rotating images and renaming files in bulk, this app also can convert pics among a wide variety of formats.
In addition, you'll find tools for capturing screenshots and creating basic slide shows, as well as a simple audio player. We were excited to see a utility for generating Web galleries, but we quickly despaired when we couldn't get it to work. Still, we recommend XnView to digital photographers who already have a first-class editing program.
XnView is a fast multi-format graphics browser, viewer, and converter. It can read more than 400 file formats, e.g. GIF, BMP, JPEG, PNG, TARGA, multipage TIFF, camera RAW, JPEG 2000, MPEG, AVI, Quicktime. EXIF and IPTC metadata are also supported. The image viewer has an Explorer-like browser that allows quick and simple browsing of directory contents. XnView supports red eye correction, crops and transforms JPEG images losslessly, generates HTML pages and contact sheets, and provides batch conversion and batch renaming. Slide shows with transitions effects, screen capturing, WIA and TWAIN support (scanner and digital cameras), image comparison,and file operations.
What's new in this version: Version 1.99 fixes RAW embedded jpeg loading is slow.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Process photos start to finish--from download to editing (inc. ...
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Recover lost photos from hard drives, USB drives, memory cards,...
- Create photo collages from your digital images.
- Recover lost photos, documents, audio and video files.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Create Flash slide shows with photos and music.
- Turn your photos into collage and make them into desktop wallpa...
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 381 votes
Current version:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"The Best and compact pictures software"
Version: XnView 1.99
Everything is good and intuitive, very understendable
Noone icould'n find any
Everything I needed to do in a netbook to save good pictures is available in this pictures software
"A comprehensive viewer-***-editor"
Version: XnView 1.99
Handles a very wide range of formats. Intuitive, logically structured. Flexible, with a number of tools and some nifty touches.
Speed of rendering. No curves function.
To be highly recommended. Overall, compares well to FastStone, which is my benchmark. Capable of displaying even .xcf (GIMP). Its Contact Sheet facility is a useful delight while working on projects and/or series.
Note to CNET editors: I would write more but for the grey typeface on grey background while formulating the review. Get it sorted, or I will not be bothered again.
"Almost everything I was looking for."
Version: XnView 1.99
Visual index, and simple transforming tools.
Easily resize, flip, rotate and covert images.
Even has red-eye correction.
Freeware! (And, so far, no nags or ads).
Does not allow selecting multiple (or a range of) folders simultaneously to view a combined index.
I have used Compupic Pro for years, and it was an excellent product for my needs. But with Win7, needed to find something else. (C'pic does not work with Win7). This does almost everything Compupic Pro (by Photodex) used to do for me. If the publisher happens to read this, I would suggest adding the ability of viewing multiple folders at once. It would really help me. As it is, I may keep looking, despite the ease of use, and the "almost everything" I have already noted. While I did pay for Compupic, I wouldn't pay for this one. (I would consider an Adobe product first.) Glad it was free; so nothing wasted... and who knows... It might be the closest thing to what I am seeking! Thanks. (I hope MY comments are helpful!)
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content