From Donald Lessau:
XYplorer is a multi-tabbed file manager for Windows, featuring a very powerful file search, versatile preview facilities, a highly customizable interface, and a large array of unique ways to efficiently automate frequently recurring tasks.
Here are some key features of "XYplorer":
- Tabbed Browsing: have an unlimited number of tabs to make jumping around between folders a one-click affair. Rename the tabs, shift them around, hide them, drag-drop stuff onto the tab headers... the tabs remember their configuration individually and between sessions. You often search your system for files added in the last 24 hours? Let a "finding tab" do the job at a single click!
- High end find files engine with tremendous power and amazing speed. Find files fully supports Boolean logic (up to 256 nesting levels), advanced pattern matching, Regular Expressions, whole word and fuzzy matching, binary string search, multiple location search (find files in all selected directories) and much more...
- Instant preview of image (incl. PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, ICO and many more), audio, and video files (displaying detailed media information).
- Thumbnails of image files shown right in the file list, introducing the unique "Mouse Down Blow Up" functionality.
- Instant preview of installed and uninstalled TrueType and Type-1 font files (displaying detailed font information).
- Instant preview of HTML, MHT, PHP files (including configurable server mappings) with printing option.
- Instant display of complete file/version information for each selected file.
- Various revolutionary highlighting features add more visual grip to tree and list. Highlight Folder, Boxed Branch, Favorite Folder Bold, Highlight Focused Row, Highlight Sorted Column, ... all colors are fully customizable. And then there's a wildcard-configurable Color Filter for list items.
- You have a Visual Filter for the file list. Control what you see by stating simple wildcard patterns like *.txt. The Visual Filter is per-tab and, as virtually all XYplorer settings, saved between sessions.
- File Info Tips and MP3 Info Tips: extensive file information (depending on file type and individual file up to 35 fields!) pops up when you move the mouse over a file's icon.
- Special MP3 service: instant ID3v1.1-tag view and edit, plus automatic filename to ID3v1.1-tag routine.
- Instant file view (ASCII and HEX) for all files, including text extraction from binaries (BTW: the fastest on the market).
- Generates various sorts of file system reports (to clipboard, file, and printer -- we're talking about one-click directory print-outs here).
- Export extended file informations of whole directories (or even directory trees) to CSV-formatted files.
- Created Date, Last Accessed Date and Attributes are shown right in the file list. Optionally in the revolutionary Age format, which immediately tells you how old a file is (as opposed to when it was born).
- Column Width Auto-Adjustment.
- Highly customizable display formats for file size and date information.
- For each file and folder, the (real!) disk space used is immediately displayed.
- Remembers last folder location, sort order, scroll position, and selected file.
- Browser-like history functionality.
- Can define favorite folders.
- A large suite of useful commands added to the standard file context menu, including Copy To, Move To, Copy Filename with Path, Copy File Properties, Copy Large/Small Icon, Multi-file Rename (optionally using Regular Expressions).
- Icon-extraction, multi-file time-stamping and attribute-stamping.
- Full support for drag'n'drop and wheel mouse.
- Made to handle heavy-duty jobs.
- Installing (1.7 MB total) and running the program does not change your system or registry. In other words: XYplorer is 100% portable. Ideal for your USB memory stick.
- Easy to use, start working in no time (interface closely follows Explorer standards).
- Small, fast, and RAM-friendly.
What's new in this version:
- Revolutionary keyboard-driven popup-Hotlist!
- Revolutionary keyboard-driven popup-Breadcrumb!
- Revolutionary Drop-Text-To-File!
- "Quick Visual Filters" via the Address Bar!
- "Delete (Skip Locked)" command!
- Destination paths may contain Date Variables,
- making dated Backups a 1-click affair!
- Support of common Windows environment variables!
- Dropping items/attachments from Outlook and
- Outlook Express is now supporte... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Process documents and save them in various formats.
- Convert image files to PDF document.
- Carry out your writing work while having access to multiple doc...
- Read and write data in different formats.
- Create invoices and delivery notes for various purposes.
- Create invoices and delivery notes for various purposes.
- Convert your PDF files into various image formats.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 66 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
"Best manager to manage the files that I know of!"
Version: XYplorer 13.80
Multi-tasking, easy and clean interface, speed, perfect replacement for Windows explorer and many other programs.
No objections to the program.
XYplorer is the best manager to manage the files I've ever used, automate and simplify my work on your computer like never before. Clear and easy user interface, easily accessible functions and many other features that make a program that is in my opinion the best manager of files on the market that seamlessly integrates with the system and can perfectly replace Windows Explorer.
His strong powerful functions and easy availability of the interface not only replace the Explorer, but also many other programs and gives us all these features in one place.
When once you try working with XYplorer will not be able to think that someday you could use a computer without it.
The program really worth buying!
"On the way to being a great product"
Version: XYplorer 13.30
A plethora of options, displays, configurations. The multitabbing is a winner feature.
Thumbnails display is still sketchy. I tried all the popular codec packages: K-Lite Codec Pack, FastPictureViewer and Icaros. Many file formats did display thumbnails (including pdf!) but I couldn't get flv thumbnails to work. If this is unimportant to you, definitely install xyplorer. For me this is an important feature so I'll be checking back in the future to see it's solved.
A great application. Once the thumbnail issue is resolved, it'll be even greater
"Good, Cluttered, problems"
Version: XYplorer 12.80
Unlike Windows 8, it can find files. It is very complete with great options.
It returns too many files and they are hard to filter out. The interface is cluttered. It is frustrating and I want a happy experience.
This is a good product, but my company needs a great file explorer and this is not it. I will try then buy another.
"Fantastic Explorer with superb out of the box add ons"
Version: XYplorer 12.20
Like to be able to color code files like the Mac?
Or one-click open of all sorts of files with Notepad++ without setting file associations?
Put an icon in the toolbar and the supported scripting language lets you do all that and more. I can only say Wow...
And today, after doing a clean install in one of my VM's, I found out per accident the nifty Tree Path Tracing that gives you a birds eye overview of where you are in your file structure. After 25+ years of work, your archives tend to become huge, so this really helps. Another one I found today: the floating preview. Lightweight for a quick glance at textfiles and pictures. VERY handy if you have doings with stuff like .ini, html or php files.
And then a one-click powerfilter (toggle visual filter) to quickly list only certain types of files, or big files or recent files.
Yep, organize all your favourite one click icons in your toolbar and it will save you tons of time.
None. Of course a tool like this is complex with all the possibilities. But your time investment is just once, and after that you'll have all kinds of functionality that really makes PC life VERY simple without all the right-clicks. For example, I want to keep the PDF association with Adobe, but I like the Foxit tabs of multiple PDF's. Instead of right-click...open with... etc I now have my own foxit button in the toolbar to immediately open a new PDF tab if I want to. Simple...but a big joy for me.
What a fantastic piece of software. Customization with your own user buttons, like adding colors to files like Mac, one-click changing directory icons for work in progress, or just one click open of all files in Notepad++, has a little bit of a learning curve (at least for me), but you can do it all and the scripting language has endless functionality.Oh yeah, what somebody else said here: having multiple tabs instead of 20 separate open explorer windows. HOW on earth can one live without this???
I bought the life time version at the time and of course that's exceptional value for money.
I hadn't been using xyplorer that much, but getting more and more fed up with the XP explorer, I'm switching to it full time. Yeah, I'm still using XP, downgrading all new assets to it. I can blindly find my way in standard PC functionality, so I'm not interested in vista, 7 or 8. If I want eye-candy and a WOW feeling, I'll use Linux, thank you very much.
But really, buy this software, it gives you limitless possibilities, and you can also use it like a simple Win Explorer which is fine for most of the times.
Updated on Mar 10, 2013
Version: XYplorer 12.10
Developer really listen and implement users' wish. He visits forum regularly, replies to users' suggestions and incorporate good ideas into his product really fast.
A lot of innovative features: Scripting; tree path tracing; Visual filter; mini tree; branch view... just to name a few
Little control over statusbar
This is already a very powerful product but keeps on developing super fast (and in right direction, unlike Microsoft's Windows)
"It's Not Just For Power Users!"
Version: XYplorer 11.90.0200
Excellent alternative to Windows Explorer. Solid tech-support from the developer and through the user forum. Also includes searchable comprehensive "Help" documentaion. Reasonable price considering all the benefits. Runs from an executable so does not change registry settings.
At first glance, configuration options might seem a bit complicated to some users.
Although I'm not a so called "Power User", I recognize that Windows Explorer lacks many features that would be of great value to most users. Since the CNET reviewer has done a good job of explaining the overall use of this application there's really no need to rehash it. Just suffice to say that a few hours of experimenting with the trial version of XYplorer should be enough to convince anyone of it's "must have" status. Yes, there are an almost unlimited number of configuration options available, but even at it's default (or near-default) level XY will make your computer so much easier to use. File related operations that were once a time consuming hassle can be carried out with just a click or two. Then, as you become more familiar with the configuration options you'll realize that understanding and utilizing many of the advanced features is not difficult.
I also like that the application runs from a single executable file that doesn't actually "install" anything on your computer or change registry settings. After a day of experimentation I purchasded the software and gladly made it the default file manager in lieu of Explorer. This can easily be reversed by simply unchecking the 'make default' box so no worries.
In any case, the free trial is 30 days which is plenty of time to evaluate the application and determine if it's worthwhile. Highly recommended!
"Threatfire... all kinds of alerts"
Version: XYplorer 11.90.0200
don't know didn't finish install
Threatfire popped up an said it was wanting to change the security that would allow malware, the next screen said it was making changes that are open to viruses,popus, etc. At that point I stopped the installation.
Don't do it.
"By far the best of all"
Version: XYplorer 11.90.0200
I have used a lot of file mangers,including directory opus,speed commander..etc but this one tops all of them in many ways,It really has lot's of features like undo/redo,tabbed browsing and remembers the scroll position,view mode for tabs,hotkeys can be customized to single keys for most actions.
"Great product, must have for Windows 7 and later"
Version: XYplorer 11.60
XYplorer provides a fast consistent interface to the file system for all versions of Windows. Crucially it provides the same UI for XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc. The interface is a very improved version of the XP Explorer. That's good for XP, but essential for Windows 7 where the built-in Explorer is hopeless for serious work.
XYplorer is not free. However, one license can be used on several personal machines. On very rare occasions, XYplorer hangs and has to be restarted. Overall it is very reliable.
XYPlorer is basically a Swiss Army knife for the file system. It provides fast search (with many potential criteria), file preview, tabbed browsing, multiple panes, etc. This is one of the few products that I use my own money (versus an employer) to pay for.
"A PowerDesk Replacement That Works!"
Version: XYplorer 11.50
Easy to use
Would someday like to see a built in Zip program and also a "convert picture file" then I will be completely happy.
I started with PowerDesk Version One and like a dope, rode it all the way to Version 8.5. It just got worse and worse and I still stayed with it.
When I graduated to Windows 7, I couldn't find a PowerDesk Version that could handle it.
Because of that I started a search for another file manager that met my needs and as it turned out, XYplorer was it!
I settled for the Home Lifetime Version which met my needs. It also features Lifetime Updates which is great.
I wish I had discovered XYplorer a few hundred dollars ago. It's a real bargain