CNET Editors' review
Many Windows users prefer to replace Notepad with a more capable text editor. XPad Text is one of the many contestants for the job. This portable freeware has full Unicode support for UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32, including multiple languages. It's compact, lightweight, and uses little memory. Among its features are automatic copy selection to the clipboard, multiple clipboard selections, active links, a calculator, and various decoders and converters. Since it's portable, it can run from USB drives and other directories.
XPad's developers said this portable tool is fast, and it opened almost instantaneously when we clicked its single executable. A small pop-up includes Web and Contact links. XPad has an attractive, compact interface with an efficient layout: a main window flanked by icon-based toolbars. One of the program's stated advantages is that all its menus are available right on the interface. Among them is the Configuration menu, which lets users change the background color, create shortcuts, set file associations, and other options. We could also open Explorer, our e-mail client, and our browser from the interface (the browser button uses an IE icon but opened our default Web browser). Fonts, Tex Format, Always-on-Top, Multiple Clipboard, Search, Replace, Word Wrap, and many other controls and options are immediately available for the fastest possible operations.
So XPad is fast and efficient. But as a text editor? Actually, it's really good at that, too. We started with basic text operations like Copy, Paste, and Save, and then find and replace, text formatting, and using the multiple clipboard to insert pretyped text strings. But XPad really surpasses Notepad and similar tools with its filter menu. It includes Convert to Uppercase, Lowercase, and Namecase, Convert TABs to Spaces and Spaces to TABs, Sort lines, Text formatter, Trim Spaces, and others. Some thought went into XPad, which is one of the fastest yet most flexible text editors we've tried.
From Mc & RENOX:
XPad text editor, is a lightweight, and flexible text editor that lets you quickly and easily open and edit text files from Windows, Linux and Macintosh. It has full Unicode support, that lets you create and edit files encoded in UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32. Much more complete than the Windows Notepad, so it's a good replacement for this. Key features and differences from other similar are applications Lightweight application that requires no installation, single executable file with really low memory usage. All menus on-screen. Automatic copy selection to clipboard.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Calculate your auto loan using variable rates, taxes, and other...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"reprimand to cnet"
Version: XPad Text Editor 4.3
its small, no installation, easy.
The xpad exe that gets created from the cnet downloaded file, gives not a valid windows application when its run. Thanks for the time waste and the frustration. The xpad.exe downloaded from their own site worked fine, its free, its small, etc, but come now, its nowhere close textpad or ultraedit or notepadd++.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content