CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will prompt a local download of the Firefox extension. To install the extension directly, open the file using your Firefox browser.
CNET Editors' review
WebMail Notifier for Firefox is a basic add-on that checks e-mail for a variety of different types of e-mail accounts. There's nothing particularly exciting about it, but it works just fine if you need a simple e-mail alert that's well integrated with Firefox.
The program appears as a small envelope icon within Firefox's status bar. It's quite inconspicuous, which is nice. When there are unread messages the envelope turns from gray to yellow, and the number of messages appears to the right. An optional pop-up window shows a brief preview of newly received messages. We liked that the add-on has some options for customization; users can select their own alert sounds and can also choose how frequently they want the notifier to check for new messages. WebMail Notifier also supports a variety of different e-mail providers, including Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo, and users can configure the application to check multiple e-mail accounts. Users can also create scripts to check for e-mail in accounts that aren't supported, although if you don't already know how to do this, don't expect any guidance. The add-on doesn't do any fancy tricks, but it's an excellent choice if you're looking for a basic, easy-to-use utility that will let you know when you have new mail.
WebMail Notifier for Firefox is free. Like most browser add-ons it doesn't come with a Help file, but it's pretty easy to figure out. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to all users.
From Byungwook Kang:
X-notifier checks your webmail accounts and notifies the number of unread emails. You can use multiple accounts in a same host. If you want other webmail provider, you can make your own script.
What's new in this version: Version 3.3.3 added hidden option for bookmark menu, icon left click, custom page link, and spam notification.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Respond automatically to e-mail messages.
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Manage and get a notification when a new e-mail message arrives...
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Provide powerful alternative e-mail client.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse the Internet using a Chrome-based browser with automatio...
- Get various tools for managing customer relations.
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Works great to notify of new emails in background"
Version: X-notifier 3.3.3
The latest 3.x version works fine (previews reviews 'Cons' have all been addressed... if properly installed and configured).
Runs in the background and provides colorful count (number) of new emails on the single X-Notifier envelope icon. Also has an -optional- 'toolbar' that can show individual accounts... (off by default).
Comes with major email provider scripts embedded in program... also allows for many custom scripts downloadable from support site for various other email providers. And has built-in scripts to support POP3 or IMAP access.
Can customize default check interval or per-each-account checking interval. Can customize sound alerts, and choose either inbox-only or include other folders of webmail accounts.
Supports other email features, like multiple accounts with a provider, etc.
Available several browsers (except Internet Explorer)... Mozilla version for Firefox, Sea Monkey, Thunderbird... other versions for Chrome, Opera, Safari 6.
Not all optional features are available from Options menu... some features require edit of configuration file (Mozilla version... Firefox, Sea Monkey, Thunderbird).
A very customizable email checker that runs in the background when you have browser open... and notifies user of new email count for multiple emails. Has optional toolbar and allows for creation of custom scripts to access non-webmail email providers, as well as those accessible by POP3 and IMAP... and other account providers such as Twitter, Facebook, deviantART, LinkedIn, etc.
If you have trouble setting it up, support forum is a great place to get troubleshooting help.