CNET Editors' note: Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Version 5.666 is the last release.
CNET Editors' review
WinAmp 5.3 took some long-needed steps to improve the old-school media player, with support for AAC encoding, CD burning, and a robust file-management system. WinAmp 5.56 ups the ante with strong support for portable devices, including iPods, the ability to sync non-DRMed files to your PC from your device, an optional new interface layout and a built-in browser for media discovery.
We liked that clicking on an artist's name will get you related headlines and Web sites in a separate pane. There's also Podcast support, device synchronization that lets you tweak the sync list while in progress, and continued support for AOL's excellent Shoutcast. The new Bento layout is worth mentioning, too, because it gets the venerable llama away from the old modular format. The joined panes for the browser, media player, artist list, album list and more make WinAmp instantly more visually appealing. There's also an Auto-Tag feature, which will download metatags from the Gracenote database, and Winamp's proprietary music scrobler called Orgler, with links back to AOL Music.
If you want MP3 encoding and full-speed CD burning, you have to shell out $19.95 for the Pro version. However, there are other problems. Automatic album art download support is spotty at best. More importantly, there are some stability issues when playing videos, and occasional program crashes were far more common than they should be.
WinAmp 5.56 is no iTunes killer--not yet. It has become, however, a strong alternative and should be of interest to those looking for something with more meat on its bones. Llama meat, that is.Winamp - Play audio and video files - Download Video Previews:
Winamp is a free multimedia player made by Nullsoft. It supports numerous audio and video formats. It also plays streamed video and audio content, both live and recorded, authored worldwide. It has an extremely customizable media library, and allows you to rip and burn your favorite music CDs. Winamp has thousands of skins and plug-ins that allow you to change the look-and-feel of the player, as well as add new features. The player also has access to thousands of free songs, videos and online radio stations from SHOUTcast Radio and AOL Radio with XM.
What's new in this version:
- Wireless desktop sync with Winamp for Android
- iTunes Library Import
- Enhanced Windows 8 support
- Improved high resolution screen support
- Improved playlist generator
- Stability improvements, security and bug fixes
- Available in 16 languages including Russian, French, German and Polish
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Turn buttons on wireless/cordless mouse into remote control and...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Listen to your favorite music in MP3 format on your Palm handhe...
- Play and manage your MP3 files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Play and store music in multiple formats.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Browse throught your MP3 files as if they were real CDs and pla...
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Manage the database and play your favorite music files while di...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Play your favorite music files via a small widget.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Play music in mp3 format.
- Listen to music using player with unlimited download service.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Play APE and MP3 files.
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 1,505 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: Winamp 5.666
Stable - Efficient - Reads many many audio formats (I dont use it for video) - Simple, easy and useful buttons and features - Don't speed down your computer - Excellent audio quality - Easy to write ID2-3 tags - Ability to physically delete files from in the program - ...
This is the appliation I have used the most in my computer life : For 20 years !!!
- Some buttons of the interface should be bigger.
Excellent, simple, efficient !
I recommend it !
"Nothing better for your tunes!"
Version: Winamp 5.666
Easy to use
Low CPU usage
More than enough features
No more updates beyond 5.666
I'm sorry to see it go.
"Best music player all around"
Version: Winamp 5.666
Very good sound. Low CPU use.
Leave your files where you placed them and never try to re-encode them. Only change the tags when YOU do explicitely change them. This is oposite the the default behavious of the mamoth iTune (over 300 Mb) that insist on re-encoding all audio to AAC, relocate and retag your files on play...
Can handle libraries and playlists containing upward of 100000 tracks.
None that I can think of.