CNET Editors' review
Wikitup is a free desktop reference tool with extensions for Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Wikitup uses open-source data from sites like Wikipedia, Wikitionary, and Wikiquote to deliver search results quickly to your desktop via a system tray icon. It can translate selections in more than 700 languages as well as find photos and videos and present them in a Cooliris 3D Wall display.
To access Wikitup, we clicked the W icon in our Windows notification area, also known as the system tray. We right-clicked the icon and selected Settings, which let us select languages, data sources, hot keys, and other options. Data sources are selected via the sort of add-and-remove tool that lists available resources in one panel and active ones in another; we simply added those we wanted to use and removed those we didn't. The available sources included various video and picture sharing sites like YouTube and Picasa as well as Google and Wiki sites. We could use the hot keys to look things up or open the Wikitup box and enter searches directly. This compact pop-up categorizes results into tabs labeled Words, Video, Pictures, and Sound. Pressing Ctrl and right-clicking any word in any program on our system initiated a Wikitup search, with results appearing in the appropriate tabs in Wikitup's display. We stumped Wikitup's resources with one search, but the program came back with the opportunity to write an entry and submit it to the appropriate wiki.
Wikitup is an intriguing reference tool that brings a wide range of resources a mouse click away. We don't need to stress the usual caveat regarding wikis, which are only as authoritative and accurate as feedback and scrutiny can make them. However, Wikitup is great for fast look-ups and as an easy-to-use desktop reference, and we recommend it.
Wikitup is a multimedia dictionary and encyclopedia. When you right-click a word on your screen, Wikitup fires up and starts searching for the word or phrase in tens of different data sources simultaneously. Some of the supported data sources are Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikiquotes, Youtube, SoundCloud... You instantly get a definition for the searched word, translation to multiple languages, pictures showing the thing you searched for and videos about it. Check out the stunning video wall.
What's new in this version: Version 1.8.6 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Learn languages with your vocabulary trainer.
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Translate and define with a click on a word using a context sen...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Receive alert notifications on natural phenomenon.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Stream online radio stations without using a bloated player.
- Grabbing download links from youtube.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Travel guides for 15 Spanish cities.
- Create playlists from your media files within Explorer and play...
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 9 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"doesn't have the correct installer with it"
Version: Wikitup 1.8.6
none-it doesn't download
needs the correct installer-the one with it is not compatible for Internet Explorer or Firefox-message says installer not compatible with either browser
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content