Those who want to edit audio files may not be satisfied with the native options available on their Mac. WavePad for Mac functions well and has most of the features users look for in a usable audio editor.
WavePad for Mac is available as a free trial version with a 14-day usage limit, while the full version requires payment of $129 to unlock. Despite requiring the user to accept a lengthy licensing agreement, the program did download and install quickly. Video tutorials and technical support were both available. The program's main menu is cluttered but well designed. Buttons for creating a new file or opening an existing one are also well positioned. The program opened an existing MP3 file quickly and with no errors. The main window displays the audio file's sound output visually, which makes it easier for editing. In addition to major features like cutting and copying sections, the program can also process files in batches, making working with a number of audio files a lot easier. After editing, the audio output file's sound matched the original and the changes incorporated well.
For users who want to edit large numbers of audio files, WavePad for Mac contains all of the features expected of this type of program and performs well.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of WavePad for Mac 5.14.
WavePad Sound Editor for Mac OS X lets you record and edit voice and other audio recordings. You can cut, copy and paste parts of recording and, if required, add effects like echo, amplification and noise reduction.
- Sound editing functions include cut, copy, paste, delete, insert, silence, autotrim and more.
- Audio effects include, amplify, normalize, equaliser, envelope, reverb, echo, reverse, sample rate conversion and more
- Special effects include reduce vocals, distortion, chorus and more.
- Batch processing allows you to apply effects and/or convert your files as a single function.
- Audio restoration features including noise reduction and click pop removal.
- Recorder supports autotrim and voice activated recording.
- Create and work on multiple audio files at one time and save them as one project.
- Supports sample rates from 6000 to 96000Hz, stereo or mono, 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits.
- Pre-defined audio quality suggestions when saving files such as CD Quality and Radio Quality.
- Tools include spectral analysis (FFT) and speech synthesis (text to speech).
- Load audio files directly from CD and convert to .wav files automatically.
- Allows you to set user assigned keys and macros.
- Set bookmarks along multiple files as you work.
What's new in this version: