CNET Editors' review
No one likes tax time -- not even paid tax preparers. They view tax season the way retailers view the holiday season; something to survive in order to thrive. Yet it's even worse for employers, who must not only do their own taxes but also prepare W-2s for each and every employee. Real Business Solutions has a solution for real businesses: W2 Mate 2012. Simply put, it can import, prepare, and file W-2, W-3, 1099, 1098, and related tax forms. Better yet, it saves you money by laser-printing your own government-approved substitute forms on blank paper. It prints individual mailing labels for W-2 and 1099 recipients, too. W2 Mate imports tax data from financial tools like QuickBooks, creates PDF-based forms, supports e-filing, rolls over data, and exports data to Excel. Recent updates include support for changes in 2012 filing and compatibility with Windows 8. W2 Mate 2012 is free to try for 30 days with a watermark on output.
W2 Mate's interface is attractive as tax tools go, borrowing stylistic elements from Web browsers and MS Office for a clean, up-to-date look anchored by a Shortcuts sidebar linking to forms, company data, employees, and more. Crisply rendered forms give a high-quality look and feel, too, an impression reinforced by the copious assistance W2 Mate offers. For instance, clicking the IRS & SSA Instructions menu on the toolbar showed instructions, contacts, Web links, and more, while the Tools menu let us roll over data, update employee data, back up and restore company data, configure options, and enable optional features. We started by entering company data, though we could also import (and export) data to and from a variety of programs. We didn't have any government-supplied forms on hand, but forms printed on plain paper with our basic black-and-white laser printer looked like they'd been printed professionally.
We've seen plenty of tax and business software, and W2 Mate 2012 stands out, even among the best. It produces top-quality forms with explanations, notes, and instructions when they're needed. The comprehensive software costs only $39, a bargain compared to CPA rates.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of W2 Mate 2012 9.0.35.
From Real Business Solutions:
W2 Mate 2013 is a software for filing tax forms W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-R, W-3, 1096, 1099-S, 1098-T, 1098, 1099-A, 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-PATR and 1099-OID . W2 Mate supports printing both on government pre-printed forms and on blank paper. Just enter your data, verify it, and print all your forms. W2 Mate also eliminates the need for buying W2 Forms (Copy A) and W3 by printing government-approved laser substitutes for these forms on plain white paper. Automatically calculates totals for 1096 and W3.Meets IRS and Social Security regulations. Supports electronic W2 Filing (W2 EFile) through SSA Business Services Online and 1099 E-File through IRS FIRE (requires W2 Mate Option #4).Exports W2 and 1099 data (employer, employee, payer and recipient information) to Excel format. Data rollover from previous tax years. Generates printing labels for employees and 1099 recipients. Imports W2 and 1099 data from QuickBooks,Sage Peachtree, Sage DacEasy, MS Dynamics, CSV format and from other accounting software like MAS 90 / 200 (requires W2 Mate Option #3). W2 Mate software saves money by allowing users to print tax forms on white paper instead of the red-ink forms and to create PDF w2s and PDF 1099s (requires W2 Mate Option #6), which eliminates mailing tax forms altogether. This W2 1099 software can be used by small businesses, accounting firms, CPAs, Bookkeepers, banks and other types of businesses. 2013 version includes support for 2013 W-2, 2013 1099-MISC, 2013 1099-INT, 2013 1099-DIV and 2013 1099-R. Ability to import W2 and 1099 forms data from EFW2 EFile format and from IRS 1099 Electronic Filing Format (Publication 1220 Format).
What's new in this version:
- W2 , 1099 1098 and 1098-T forms updated for 2013 tax year.
- New simplified 1099 electronic filing (1099 E-File) engine.
- Support for bulk 1099 TIN Matching.
- Ability to securely batch email 1099 and W2 forms (including support for QuickBooks).
- Support for importing data from Sage 50 accounting software.
- Support for the new 1099-INT forms introduced by the IRS in 2013.
- Support for Social Security Number (SSN) masking on 1099 forms.See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Print and Efile unlimited W2, W3, 1099-misc, and 1096 forms eas...
- Print your year 2012 w2, w3, 1099 and 1096 forms quickly and ea...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Create, print, and e-file IRS 1098, 5498, 1099, 3921, 3922 and ...
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Get proof of your incomes.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Print forms W2, W3, 1099, and 1096 quickly and easily on white ...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Prepare tax forms 1099, 1098, W2, and 5498 quickly and easily.
- Calculate payroll taxes, prepare payroll, and print payroll che...
- Prepare information returns and annual wage reports.
- Print old, lost, or past paycheck stubs, W2 and 1099 IRS tax fo...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Complete your tax return with worksheets, schedules, and over 1...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Calculate payroll taxes, print paychecks, print tax forms for s...
- Prepare, print, and e-file 1099s, 1098s, 5498s, 1096 forms.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Generate 1099 easily.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 35 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Doesn't give you all the information"
Version: W2 Mate 2013 10.0.66
Easy to enter basic information, somewhat easy to connect with Quickbooks.
After all that they spring it on you that you have to pay MORE money to get the forms. Almost like Bait and Switch. Next year I'm going with someone else. Have requested a refund due to incomplete/misleading information provided.