Vuze is the free, full-featured reincarnation of the popular BitTorrent client Azureus, an app for finding and watching video content that you download via torrent files.
Compared with more traditional and utilitarian BitTorrent clients, Vuze has a much richer, iTunes-style interface--with as much attention devoted to finding and viewing videos as to downloading them. You can browse the "Vuze HD Network" for videos (although you'll find a lot of lower-grade Internet fare, like promos, trailers, and podcasts), or you can look around using a friendly, easy search interface (although much of the content you'll find is copyright protected, which Vuze warns you about). The download functionality is excellent and fast, with plenty of control over even esoteric settings--and it's easy to view technical minutiae for a torrent in Vuze's big visual interface. Vuze will also help you get video into your iTunes with a beta "Devices" feature, and even onto your Apple TV, iPhone, iPod, or other devices.
For someone new to torrents, Vuze could be a great, easy introduction. If you're already familiar with using torrents and you're happy with your current client, you might not find enough here to inspire a switch.
Vuze is a powerful bittorrent software application to find, download, and play HD video content on the Web. With the latest release, you get powerful new search capabilities, along with the ability to play your HD videos on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, and Tivo. The bittorrent technology enables users to quickly and easily download HD video with a single click.
What's new in this version:
- Core | Allow multiple primordial UDP handlers
- UI | Ability to auto-send crash logs
- UI | Members of the Beta Program now get a Sidebar entry which will one day have useful beta information
- UI | Improved languages change detection so more of the text now shows in the new language (unfortunately not all)
- UI | (Windows) Bigger click area around the "X" in the Library's filter box
- UI | (Windows) Triple click in search box now selects all... See all new features »