VOX for Mac is an excellent audio player that supports multiple audio formats, including lossless and others not supported by iTunes.
VOX for Mac installs directly from the App Store into the Application folder on your Mac. It features a discrete player window through which you can easily open audio files for playback. Once the audio starts playing, album artwork and other track information is displayed in the player screen, provided, of course, that your files are properly tagged. You can add multiple audio tracks simultaneously by dragging and dropping them into the interface. Playlists can be viewed, edited, and saved through the main app screen. Playback quality is excellent and can be extensively customized by adjusting the players' native EQ settings. The app supports different output devices, including internal speakers, sound system speakers, or Apple TV via Wi-Fi.
With its many features and flawless playback, VOX for Mac is one of the best free solutions for lossless audio playback available on Mac. It won't replace iTunes, but it can enhance it. The application is free, AirPlay-enabled and will be useful to any Mac user needing a high-quality audio player with a large format support.
Meet VOX - a simple, yet powerful solution for all your music listening needs.
Either you prefer popular formats or you have an ear for music and only accept lossless audio, VOX will suit you equally well.
VOX was originally developed following the principles of clarity, simplicity and versatility. Thus, the minimalistic interface incorporates both essential and unique features, which let you:
- - Play numerous lossy and lossless audio formats;
- - Work with different audio sources including custom VOX Playlist, iTunes Library and online Radio;
- - Keep your listening statistics up-to-date with your LastFM account by means of LastFM scrobbling;
- - Automatically search for all the missing album artwork from MusicBrainz and LastFM databases;
- - Open different playlist types including M3U, PLS, XSPF and the popular CUE format used to store CD rips;
- - Control the player from the main interface, Dock context menu or main menu controls;
- - Use keyboard media keys, headphones buttons and Apple Remote to control playback (requires VOX Preference Pane);
- - Easily add music via smart drop zones, ordinary open dialog and Finder context menu;
- - Use equalizer with presets and custom mode, crossfade, fade on play/pause, converting music to 5.1 or 7.1 format;
- - Preview album artwork right in the Dock icon;
- - Convert stereophonic audio in your headphones to binaural using Bauer DSP (BS2B) technology;
- - Pause playback automatically on headphones disconnection;
- Take full advantage of AirPlay (10.8+) to listen from any of your wireless output devices;
- - Play audios stored on NAS devices and other network drives;
- - Get system or Growl playback notifications.
What's new in this version:
- Added hotkeys for volume control(increase/decrease);
- Fixed bug with iTunes loading and syncing issues;
- Fixed bug related to usage of external services.