VLC is an open source product developed by VideoLAN Project licensed under GNU GPL v2. The VLC Media Player source code is also available for download from Download.com.
This logo or a modified version may be used or modified by anyone to refer to the VideoLAN project or any product developed by the VideoLAN team, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
What's new in this version:
- The licenses of numerous modules have changed from GPLv2+ to LGPLv2.1+
- The --with-tuning and --without-tuning options are removed; to tune compilation for a specific processor type, set CFLAGS manually
- Audio core rewrite, supporting higher samplerates, better volume management, better device selection, new channel layouts and new output capabilities
- Fix support for .001, .00x split files on Windows
- Full support for UNICODE Windows mode
- Di... See all new features »