Editors' Note: The VLC Media Player source code is also available.
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
What's new in this version:
- "Weatherwax" is a major update of VLC
- auto-rotate the videos taken from phones, to fight VVS!
- More support for Ultra HD codecs, VP9 and H.265/HEVC, including for encoding.
- Extensions are now downloadable from within the application.
- VLSub extension can download subtitles from the application.
- New version and beta for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Windows RT are available.