CNET Editors' review
VLC Media Player is a long-time open-source favorite, and the latest version is also the first to be out of beta development. It's not the only option for free video playback, but it's one of the best, and the feature updates in version 1 make it well worth the upgrade.
Users can now get frame-by-frame advancement, granular speed controls allowing for on-the-fly slower or faster playback, and live recording of streaming video. The toolbars are fully customizable, so you can have only the buttons you need in the interface, there's AirTunes streaming, and there's better integration in Gtk environments. Along with the improvements, VLC continues to offer robust support for a wide range of video and audio formats, including OGG, MP2, MP3, MP4, DivX, HD codecs like AES3, Raw Dirac, and even support for playing back zipped files. The default interface is still a stripped down player that belies VLC's functionality and features. Skinning can fix that quickly, but behavior can still be a bit unpredictable depending on the quality of the skin. VLC's open-source foundation and community ensures that it evolves quickly and often, with new features and fixes released frequently. Overall, VLC Media Player is a must-have application for its ability to open just about any type of video file you throw at it.
VLC Media Player Portable is the popular VLC media player packaged as a portable app, so you can take your audio and video files along with everything you need to play them on the go. VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
What's new in this version:
With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.1 allows experimental decoding of HEVC and Webm/VP9 (depending on the platform).
2.1.1 fixes around a hundred of bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind".
Important fixes involve Speex, WMV3, Alac and AVI decoding, but also numerous Mac OS X crashes and GPU decoding on Windows.
2.1.1 also improves the Windows installer and updates most translations.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert general videos and HD videos to your desired HD formats...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Burn videos to DVD disc or generate ISO files.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Convert your videos to different video file formats.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Capture and record video from your screen.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Convert AVCHD video files to MP4 format.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 86 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"The very best!"
Version: VLC Media Player Portable 2.1.1
Plays almost every thing on my PC.
Wish it would play all MP4 videos. As of today, it plays only a very few. I have an entire folder of MP4 files/videos which I cannot play. Can anyone tell me what I am missing or doing wrong? Please!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content