CNET Editors' review
Anyone who's ever tried screenwriting knows that there's a specific format that must be followed, and anyone who's ever attempted this task in a typical word processing program knows that this format can be a real pain in the butt. Trelby is an easy-to-use screenwriting program that does the formatting for you and includes several other helpful tools that let you focus on telling your story instead of fiddling with margins.
Trelby's interface isn't stunningly beautiful, but it's easy to navigate, with a few menus across the top and a toolbar down the left side. Although the program looks a lot like a typical word processor at first glance, once you start typing you realize how different it is. Trelby knows how to lay out a screenplay, and all you have to do is either tab or press Enter to properly format the next character, action, or line of dialogue. Hints in the upper right corner got us started, but in no time at all we were typing along and properly formatting our screenplay without even thinking about it. We were surprised by how quickly we picked up on it; it's actually quite intuitive. In addition to its formatting magic, Trelby also lets you run reports to get information about the locations, scenes, characters, and dialogue present within the screenplay. There's even a built-in name database to help you figure out who your characters are. Scripts can be saved either as Trelby files or PDFs. A built-in Help file provides plenty of information about how to use Trelby, but it's fairly easy to figure out with a bit of experimentation. Overall, we were quite impressed with Trelby, and we think anyone writing for the silver or small screen would be foolish not to try it out.
Trelby installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.
A free, multiplatform, feature-rich screenwriting program!
Trelby is simple, fast and elegantly laid out to make screenwriting simple. It is infinitely configurable.
Trelby is free software, that you can contribute to.
- - Screenplay editor: Enforces correct script format and pagination, auto-completion, and spell checking.
- - Multiplatform : Behaves identically on all platforms, generating the exact same output.
- - Choice of view: Multiple views, including draft view, WYSIWYG mode, and fullscreen to suit your writing style.
- - Name database: Character name database containing over 200,000 names from various countries.
- - Reporting: Scene/location/character/dialogue reports.
- - Compare: Ability to compare scripts, so you know what changed between versions.
- - Import: Screenplay formatted text, Final Draft XML (.fdx), Celtx (.celtx), Fountain (.fountain), Adobe Story (.astx) and Fade In Pro (.fadein).
- - Export: PDF, formatted text, HTML, RTF, Final Draft XML (.fdx) and Fountain (.fountain).
- - PDF: Built-in, highly configurable PDF generator. Supports embedding your chosen font. Also supports generating PDFs with custom watermarks, to help track shared files.
- - Free software: Licensed under the GPL, Trelby welcomes developers and screenwriters to contribute in making it more useful.
What's new in this version:
- Fountain import/export support.
- Adobe Story import support.
- Fade In Pro import support.
- Install directory is configurable on Windows.
- Text import can optionally ignore certain lines.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Write, import, edit, and publish movie scripts using standard i...
- Read PDF files as "flip-page" books by one click of a button.
- Convert PowerPoint presentations into PDF files.
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Create PDF and PDF/A documents from any Windows program.
- Get a page count of PDF files.
- Create and encrypt your PDF files.
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Create or modify PDF files on your Windows machine.