CNET Editors' review
While we get that the makers of The Vault are trying to be clever by using banking terminology to describe the program's actions and features, the idea falls flat and creates an unintuitive interface.
After installation, we were asked to create a profile by entering a PIN. From there, we were taken to a paneled interface. At first it wasn't really apparent what we were supposed to do next. There's a menu at the top of the window, but the options were vague. It was only after we paid a visit to the Help feature that we discovered its drag-and-drop functionality, and what Withdrawals and Deposits meant. We dragged a file to the window and it was instantly added to the queue, but the original, unencrypted file remained. We weren't given the option of deleting the source file. Though you do have the choice of three algorithms, we weren't given a choice when we added the file. It also took another visit to the Help feature to figure out that right-clicking and selecting the Withdrawal option decrypted the file.
Even though its free, we found The Vault awkward to navigate thanks to the annoying banking references. We recommend you skip this in favor of the many other free file encryption programs out there. Lucky for us, it cleanly uninstalled from our PC.
More stable, more flexible, more efficient, more secure, bottom line more piece of mind from Jensen and Brusca Consulting Group. The Vault is back with new and improved features. A more flexible file repository, stronger AES encryption that's faster than previous releases. A faster and more reliable compression routine.
Version 2.3 includes unspecified updates.
What's new in this version: Version 2.3 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Encrypt, hide, and protect your personal data.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Lock, encrypt, back up, shred, and manage your files and folder...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Encrypt files quickly with AES-256 algorithm and protect passwo...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt files, including those that are stored on USB drives, C...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Split and encrypt large files into smaller files and merge it b...
- Ecrypt, decrypt, and delete files and folders with the use of a...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Hide, lock, protect, and encrypt your folders and files.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Zip and unzip files from your ASP or any COM-enabled code.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Create password protected encrypted files, email attachments an...
- Create passwords for various files on your PC to protect them.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Encrypt and delete files securely.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: The Vault 2.3
It's Ideal for protection also since the files are encrypted but still in exe format. Its better than previous file protectors I've had.
I would give this 5 stars if you could put files in the default folders.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: