CNET Editors' reviewAlthough this game earns points for its engrossing story line and nice presentation, the stingy trial restriction takes it down a notch. Starscape is not your typical shoot-'em-up space game. Instead, you pilot your ship on a variety of missions to help save the spaceship Aegis and its crew. Some mission-based games such as this are tough to understand, but this program clearly spells out your orders so you know exactly what to do at all times. We really suggest watching the animated background story before playing the game, as it will greatly enhance the experience. The cartoon-style graphics are excellently rendered, and the graphics and sound effects are equally up to par. However, the downside to the polished design is that the program eats a lot of system memory and takes a while to install. Starscape offers a decent feature set, letting you adjust the audio, reconfigure the controls, and play in full-screen or window modes. Still, we think most users will wish for longer than a 20-minute trial period. All things considered, we think Starscape bests suits experienced role-playing gamers rather than more casual players.
Starscape mixes a space shooter/RPG crossover with characterization and an involved plot. With most of its crew missing and its weapons systems ruined, the space-research station Aegis is all but lost. As the last remaining pilot, you must help rebuild the station's defenses, acquire alien technology, and create your own uniquely configured set of fighters. By mining asteroids within the grid dimension, valuable resources can be harvested to fuel the Aegis's molecular furnace to build devastating weaponry. Within the nodes of the grid you will encounter allies to aid in the struggle to escape, uncover the terrible purpose of the evil Archnid race, and learn why you and the rest of the crew were brought here. Version 1.5c may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Learn about new sports in this sports-themed arcade action game...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Destroy all aliens to gain control over the spaceship.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Shoot down hordes of enemy spaceships that use distinct strateg...
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Command your own starship in an all-out, drag-down, knockout ba...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Slalom with your ship, collect bonuses, and shoot aliens.
- Hit breakable game blocks to move to the next level.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play a shooting game with 19 story-based missions.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Shoot everything in your path in this arcade game.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Avoid the zombies and destroy the SEBea devices using landmines...
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play a futuristic, deep-sea, arcade-style action game.
- Shoot the monsters and secure your survival.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"terrible, the game's end is not winnable"
Version: Starscape 1.5c
Beautiful music beautiful visuals
terrible, read below because my cons won't fit
1) the controls are hard to understand, overly complicated and not obvious
2) at the end of the game, you cannot win, because it's poorly designed, the enemies will beat you no matter what, it's too bad, because if the end was made to be winnable, then this would be a at least three star game or three and a half. They should open source it so that it can be fixed if they aren't willing.
3) Another con: you can't even extract the music, there's no music files.
If you want to be stressed out, play this game.
"You have to play Starscape."
Version: Starscape 1.5c
It's not what you think it will be - it's TONS better! Take a great looking top down space shootemup with amazing weapons and effects and add a strategy system in the background and you have Starscape. this game simply rocks! CNET review is a total idiot to give this game 3 stars - this is the best indie game on here.
Could do with a higher res screen option, but apart from that I'd justlike a sequel so I can keep playing!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: