CNET Editors' review
StarLight for Mac connects to SiriusXM's network of stations and allows you to stream them. It features a clean main window and places an icon on your Mac menu bar that gives quick access to your favorite stations as well as playback controls. To use the app you need a SiriusXM account.
StarLight for Mac installs quickly and, after being launched, presents you with its clean and minimal main window. Apart from a few playback controls, the majority of the screen is reserved for displaying your favorite stations or search results. Along with the standard playback controls, the app features an automatic playback and resume should you quit the app or lose Web connectivity. StarLight can act as an audio source for AirFoil, effectively adding AirPlay functionality to the app when used together with the AirFoil service. While testing, we were able to play and favorite stations without issues or delays; stations took ten seconds to start playing at most. In case you have a slow connection, you can adjust the timeout settings in StarLight's preferences.
If you like listening to SiriusXM radio stations while on the road, you will definitely appreciate StarLight for Mac. The app is pleasant to work with and stays true to the OS X aesthetic while giving you easy access to entertaining radio stations. If you don't have a SiriusXM account, however, the product will be useless since it cannot be used as a general media player.
StarLight is a simple, ultra-slick, revolutionary SiriusXM compatible player. Its features include Secure Login, Super fast, Dynamic Channel Listings that Auto Update. Hidden Parental Controls keeps kids away from Adult content (see Read me). Recent additions include Stars (favorites), AutoPlay, and AutoReconnect. Advanced channel search and customizable table sorts. SiriusXM limits you to 10 favorites, but StarLight's Stars are limitless. You can even search within your favorites. Sort and Search by Stars, Channel #, Genre, Category, and Description. And that's not all StarLight natively supports Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil 4; you can enjoy StarLight through any AirPlay compatible device or computer with AirFoil 4 (requires additional software not included).
What's new in this version: Quick update to work with SiriusXM's recent beta changes.
More Products to Consider
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Watch YouTube videos in a player.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Browse the web with easy by flicking with gestures.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Mix the music.
- Randomly change desktop pic using any folder as source.
- Displays how much time has passed since last startup.
- Record any sound playing through sound card, microphone, or bot...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Network administration and security testing utility.
- Displays how much time has passed since the last startup.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content