CNET Editors' review
Spotify has been around for a good year and hasn't changed much; it's still one of our favorite applications for music on demand and music library management. Taking cues from iTunes, Spotify integrates your existing music libraries with its own giant catalog of songs from artists all over the world. Where it trumps iTunes is that all the music is pretty much available to stream for free, with offline functionality for an addition 10 bucks a month. In the in-app advertisements, claims like "Piracy is overrated" are quite justified; Spotify is seriously one of the most easiest ways to grab just about any song you can think of, and stellar for discovering new music.
And while we've already covered the highlights of the layout and the general functions of the service, Spotify has since then been pushing users to take advantage of its own app catalog to further enhance the playlist creation experience.
Apps are available from bigger names and sites like Billboard charts and well-known musicians, as well as discovery brands like Hype Machine help users discover new music from just about any genre. And while users can already explore curated lists from their synced friends via Facebook, Spotify apps are in some sense the company's response to address the need for more curated lists.
It's not surprising that the actual number of apps in the catalog is rather small, but then again there's really only so much you can do with music playlists. From our experience, most of the apps are centered around music discovery and suggestion, or syncing with well-known discovery sites like Hype Machine. They are interesting for a bit but few apps really add any new legitimate features or functions to the music listening experience, except just visual reorientations of artist spotlights. My personal favorite was simply the TuneWiki lyrics plugin; it basically turned my Spotify app into a makeshift karaoke so I can secretly sing and rap to myself at work. Other apps that were also interesting included Fuse, an app that highlights music of artists who make headlines or appear on the news.
Your favorited apps will follow you whenever you log onto Spotify, no matter what machine you're on.
If you're looking for a free, legal way to get all your favorite songs on your computer, stop living under a rock and download this now.
Spotify is a new way to enjoy music. Simply download and install, before you know it you'll be singing along to the genre, artist or song of your choice. With Spotify you are never far away from the song you want.
There are no restrictions in terms of what you can listen to or when. Forget about the hassle of waiting for files to download and fill up your hard drive before you get round to organizing them. Spotify is instant, fun and simple.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Convert text into a WAV, MP3, OGG, or WMA audio files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Convert text into a WAV, MP3, OGG, or WMA audio files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Edit MP3 tags, find covers, and organize your music collection.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Batch auto tag your mp3 music collection.
- Track your DVD collection and keep up-to-date.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run all your Karaoke Shows from your fully touch screen PC.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Batch convert your audio files from one format to another.
- Convert MP3 audio files to WAV, M4A, AIFF, FLAC, AAC, WMA, OGG,...
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.
- Convert WMA audio files to MP3, M4A, AIFF, FLAC, AAC, WAV, OGG,...
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 115 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"technical mess, waste of a promise"
Version: Spotify 0.8.5.133
ok selection, not so great. multi language selection. nice sharing feature. not worth it even free though, see cons, see summary
terrible technical backbone. my account was somehow "lost" my playlists gone, my entire spotify desktop was showing someone else name, friends actions, & playlists
spotify's "solution": delete since you signed up with facebook & recreate everythig
also, windows desktop version as of january 2013 basically, has this annoying pop up behavior on certain spotify ads or ad changes in banners that takes over your screen regardless of what other application you are busy working on. VERY INTRUSIVE. spotify has known about it since at least 8 months ago and apparently is doing everything they can to fix it... must not be enough
all support is done via forums and contact forms and it is super slow and mostly totally useless. (they keep excusing, not answering or just keep blabing and repeating same old useless stuff)
your technical backend sucks. ***********. your customer support stinks. a contact form? really?! not even a live chat?
so cheap. so disgustingly unpleasant of a taste and experience in my mouth.
right now i have to worry if someone may have gotten access to my facebook account or worse yet my email account. and it would be only cuz of these fools.
stay away especially if you are forced to use a facebook account to sign up... this more and more sounds and feels like a scam, a data collection and mining operation than an honest music streaming business
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content