CNET Editors' review
We have a love-hate relationship with desktop enhancements: when they work well, they can definitely change your computing experience for the better, but when they don't, they can be a tremendous pain in the rump. Unfortunately, Smart Desktop falls squarely in the "pain in the rump" camp, delivering potentially useful features in a totally unworkable package.
Smart Desktop is nothing if not ambitious, attempting to cram a tremendous number of tools onto the desktop, including the weather forecast, a slideshow of our images, three different search engines, a calendar, a notepad, information about system performance, and what appeared to be some kind of media player. We can't say for sure, because some of the program's content spilled off the right side of the screen and couldn't be accessed, no matter how we adjusted our screen resolution.
Smart Desktop also has tabs across the top for organizing Web links, wallpapers, and videos. Did we mention that all of this is displayed on top of your existing desktop icons, making both the icons and Smart Desktop's content virtually impossible to read? There was no documentation that we could locate, so if there's some way of configuring Smart Desktop to solve these problems, we don't know what it is. Overall, we were impressed with Smart Desktop's attempt at comprehensiveness, but it needs to go back to the usability drawing board before we can recommend it.
Smart Desktop comes as a ZIP file and installs a desktop icon without asking.
From Shailendra Kumar:
Smart Desktop is a software which adds useful shortcuts and widgets to your desktop which eliminates the need to add any additional gadgets, program shortcuts and the like. It contains weather, calendar and system monitoring widgets, along with time and date display. Multiple shortcuts within the Home menu provide easy access to browsers, MS Office programs, Google Search, Dictionary Search, media players, system utilities, Windows accessories. Similarly, The Weblinks tab from the top of the interface provides quick access to commonly used search engine, social media, news and other related Web sites.
What's new in this version: now smart desktop is available with two mode ,[Full Mode and Mini Mode] it support wallpaper and Video tab
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Dock panels to the edge of the screen or arrange them anywhere ...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Read RSS, RDF, and Atom feeds.
- Create random backgrounds and space-saving shortcuts on your de...
- Create and switch from one virtual desktop to another.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Have a port of the helvetireader without userscripts.
- Customize your desktop right click menu.
- Switch quickly between two desktop resolutions.
- Create and fill folders with news.
- Set up countdown timer to receive alert of important event.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content