CNET Editors' review
If you're looking to make free voice or video calls worldwide, Skype is a great start. Its clean and user-friendly interface makes interaction effortless, so you are ready to go as soon as you launch the app.
During our testing, we were impressed by the video and voice quality of Skype, which uses VoIP (Voice over IP) technology to enable communication worldwide without paying a cent. One of its best features is the chat and mood messages: if you are in the middle of something, you can inform your contacts about it or just type a text message instead of having a voice call. This is a nice feature on its own, but it's also handy if you don't have a microphone.
But this isn't the only feature you'll love: we also enjoyed Skype's ability to handle conference calling, group video calling, and screen sharing. In other words, if you have a reliable Internet connection, Skype can easily replace your phone and lower your communication bills.
To make calls, all you have to do is create a contact list of friends, family, and colleagues, but they must also have Skype, as only Skype-to-Skype calls are free. However, a great addition to the app is its ability to call landlines or mobile phones, but you'll need to purchase Skype credits to take advantage of this feature.
Its chatlike user interface makes Skype very easy to use, yet the key to optimum performance is a reliable Internet connection. As soon as you launch the app and start using it, you will surely place Skype among your favorite apps, just like we did after our test. Skype's useful features and intuitive user interface make the app appropriate for users of all levels.
Skype is a little piece of software that lets you make free calls to anyone else on Skype, anywhere in the world. And even though the calls are free, they are really excellent quality. If you and your friends, family or business contacts are using webcams, you can also make free video calls. You can even call landlines and mobile phones at really cheap per minute rates.
What's new in this version: Search in Skype for Mac has been completely overhauled. Finding the right conversation is now faster than ever. From the toolbar, just enter a term in the search field and it will return a menu of the most relevant conversations. From the same menu, you can also use the Search Messages action item to explore your complete conversation history. Just double-click on a message to jump directly to it. Finally, adding a contact and calling phone numbers straight from search is more discoverable and e... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Record and play calls from various instant messengers and Skype...
- Import Mac OS Entourage E-mails to Microsoft Outlook.
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Create and share training videos, presentations, and screencast...
- Convert your non-Outlook e-mails and import them into Microsoft...
- Record anything on your PC in Full HD, up to 100FPS, with no la...
- Record videos from your screen, webcam or other video devices o...
- Record screen actions, video, and sound being played back on PC...
- Transfer mail archives from Mac OS to Outlook for Windows.
- Record screen, create interactive screencasts and elearning mat...
- Capture and save sound and video clips under the AVI format.
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 327 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Current version is 22.214.171.1243, NOT 126.96.36.1993"
Version: Skype 188.8.131.523
Chatting! It still works reasonable well if you don't give a rat's about your privacy rights.
Surveillance by Microsoft! Handed off illegally to the US feds! Let's destroy the US Constitution! Let's screw the 4th Amendment! Let's be treasonous criminals! Yay for the NSA and servile Microsoft! IASSOTS.
The current version is 184.108.40.2063. If that is NOT what you get from this download, then head over the the Skype page for the actual current version.
Skype used to be kewl. Then Microsoft bought it. Then Skype got infested with ads. Then Microsoft added user surveillance. Then Microsoft handed off the surveillance data to the US NSA (National 'Security' Agency) as part of their blanket, illegal surveillance of US citizens on US soil with out 'probable cause' of any crime whatsoever because the FISA courts have been compromised and made complicit in the unconstitutional crimes of the Obama administration who over-reached the authority provided to them by the abominable, idiotically named 'Patriot' Act perpetrated by the W. Bush Administration, and the NSA doesn't want to stop there as demonstrated by their massive data center being built in Utah. And so falls the USA, blahblahblah.
IOW: If you want to maintain your US rights of privacy as a US citizen, Skype is NOT the chat tool for you.
Instead, go check out:
which offer real, actual, 'unbreakable' encryption that keeps the criminal government out of your life, hurray.
But if you don't give a rat's about your privacy rights, Skype still works reasonably well. Thus I give it 2 stars versus just 1.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content