CNET Editors' note: The 'Download Now' link leads to the publisher's Web site where you can get more information. Download Sharetones for Android from the Android Marketplace. The Sharetones service will remain free through its beta period. There will be tiered subscription levels when the application emerges from beta.
CNET Editors' review
Start with your own music collection on the phone. Sharetones compares your list to its growing database of user-cut ringtones and returns matches. After previewing and picking, Sharetones will extract metadata information about the sample ringtone and rip your own song to match it, including fade-ins and fade-outs. Bottom line: the only person's music you touch is your own.
The application's actual interface is a tad sparse. You can preview the ringtone, pausing or saving it. The menu button reveals options to sort by title or artist, to re-sync the library, and to view the ringtone, alarm, and notifications library. And that's about it. There is no built-in ringtone editor and no album art to spruce up the screen, just the large Sharetones logo to gaze at on the preview screen. There's also no arrow navigation to scroll forward or backward through options, nor a way to tag favorite ringtone matches from a deep results list.
Apart from these cosmetic and navigational upgrades, we'd like to see Sharetones further engage the community by adding editing tools and offering an incentive program, where the author of a new ringtone recipe can download a different tone for free. Yet even in this early stage, Sharetones offers an interesting approach by selling the ringtone-matching-and-ripping service. While not every user is willing to pay for ringtones made from their own songs, some will, especially those looking to acquire ringtones in bulk.Sharetones for Android 1.0 beta:
From DJ Nitrogen:
Sharetones matches music on your phone with user-generated "ringtone recipes" - giving you easy access to a huge and growing selection of ringtones.
The more music you add to your phone, the more matches you will find. Sharetones gives you unlimited ringtones for the price of one - and during our Beta, Sharetones is free!
More Products to Consider
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Rip CDs, convert audio files, and burn discs easily.
- Record your own voice, music, or any other internal / external ...
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Play your favorite audio and video files on PC.
- Convert between CUE sheet format files.
- All-in-one digital audio application to extract audio from vide...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Search for and find required audio files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Read text aloud and save the spoken speech as mp3 and wav audio...
- Convert and backup DVDs to AVI, DivX, iPod, iPhone, iPad, WMV, ...
- Enrich your VSTi library with an additive synthesizer.
- Play music using skinnable software audio player.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Share and backup the media content for all iProducts.
- Convert FLAC audio files to MP3.
- Get various codec's and tools for converting batches of audio a...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content