"I didn't appreciate this game until after I graduated."
Version: School Tycoon 1
1) Decent Graphics for its time
2) Quick and easy progression
3) Plenty challenge scenarios to teach the basics to new players
4) Wide variety of buildings and decorations
5) Deluxe building styles are creative and pleasing to the eye
6) Lots of space to build your school on
7) The characters actually speak English! I love that they say actual phrases rather than gibberish. Sims coined gibberish - I hate seeing more games with characters that don't say real words.
8) Names are automatically generated; excellent when I'm feeling uncreative.
9) Upgrade opportunities in the newspaper allow you to make the most out of the cheapest employees you can find.
1) Janitors: no matter how I place my garbage cans, they don't do their job. They will spend hours on a clean spot of sidewalk, but refuse to clean up huge messes unless I move them to them.
2) Very minimal character design variety was a bit disappointing;
3) Students complain too much and are not self-sufficient. If they get sick, they should know to go to the nurse on their own. If they need a restroom -- go find one!
4) Classrooms are in the most space inefficient layout they possibly could be. I bought this game expecting regular square and rectangle shaped classrooms, but instead I get squared, diamonds, rectangles, circles, octagons, dodecahedrons....Pretty much every shape a classroom SHOULDN'T be. It's very hard to find an effective layout that is appealing to the eye.
5) Diagonal sidewalks are ugly. They just look like dots, rather than a smooth path.
6) I wish teachers stayed in their classroom when it is moved.
7) CONSTANT disasters are obnoxious.
I originally purchased this game (I didn't download it) back when it first came out in 2004; I was 8. Initially, I was very disappointed by the game. It was too boring for my child-self to enjoy. Now, I am 18 and just recently found it in my closet, dusted it off, and popped it in for a good play. In the last ten years, I grew to really enjoy tycoon games. I found that I actually really like this game now -- a pleasant surprise. I suppose enjoyment of a game comes with understanding, so I'm glad to say that School Tycoon, although 10 years late, is finally something I can say I am happy that I purchased.
While it is definitely not on my Top-10 games I've played list, and will probably never be a widely-recognized game, it is one that I can honestly say I enjoy playing from time to time. It is a pretty straightforward, easy to master game that can be compared to some of its more popular Tycoon siblings, such as Zoo Tycoon.
Reply to this review
Was this review helpful?