CNET Editors' review
This program promises top-notch file encryption, but it fails to mention the encryption method it employs. Still, novices will find this a great program for learning about and using file encryption.
Once installed, SafeHouse Personal Edition appears as a completely separate drive on your computer. In that way, it looks and acts like a typical hard-disk interface. Before we could begin, we had to enter a master password to access the program. A very minor trial limitation prevents any password from being more than three characters, but it didn't affect the program's performance. Once a volume has been created and opened, you can get in and out of it without a password. But once you close the volume using the appropriate desktop shortcut, you'll have to use that same password. Important files and folders were easily dragged and dropped into the drive window for safe keeping. The original files were left on our desktop, so they'll have to be deleted manually, rather than depend on the program to do it. You can use SafeHouse with any type of external hard drive, including USBs.
Help is available through tutorials, but oddly enough, the program never mentions the encryption method it uses. Novices will appreciate this program's ease of use and 30-day trial, but more experienced users will probably want more control over the encryption process.
From PC Dynamics:
SafeHouse provides total privacy and protection for your sensitive files and folders using passwords and strong encryption. SafeHouse features military-strength encryption which is completely transparent to the way you work and is compatible with all Windows applications. This software is amazingly simple to use and works on all drives, including external USB drives, USB memory sticks, network servers and even on CD/DVDs for making secure backups. SafeHouse keeps your confidential files in expandable giant data vaults which can only be accessed after entering your secret password. Your documents, photos, videos, spreadsheets and other files are completely invisible and encrypted once under the total protection offered by SafeHouse. Once SafeHouse accepts your password, your files and folders are fully accessible using a new disk drive letter added to Windows to represent your data vault. SafeHouse can turn a USB memory stick into a virtual smartcard for saving passwords.
Version 3.04 adds SafeHouse Personal Edition strength boosted to 256-bit Twofish and changes to better support creating 2TB volumes.
What's new in this version: Version 3.07 has added support for latest version of Sphinx smartcards.
More Products to Consider
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Encrypt files stored on USB Flash memory sticks.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Find password protected or encrypted files on your PC.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Lock and password protect your files and folders.
- Encrypt your sensitive data with this open-source software.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- See what programs are configured to start up automatically when...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Read e-books and other digital books on your computer.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: SafeHouse Personal Edition 3.02.086
The editor's review indicates that the encryption method is not disclosed. The software uses 256-bit Twofish which is in fact stated. This is very strong encryption.
If you need advanced features, you're better off with the Pro version of this software.
This is a great entry-level encryption product. For people with greater needs, the company also has a Professional Edition which has many more features.
PC Dynamics also publishes a free version called SafeHouse Explorer.