CNET Editors' review
If open-source freeware has a weak spot, it's the hobbyist thing, and nowhere is that more evident than in media players. "Wait while it updates what? Font cache? I just want to hear 'Surfin' Bird!'" Many people are more than willing to forgo the advantages of open-source players for something easier to use.
MPlayer is an open-source media player optimized for playing movies, but it has a lot of options and capabilities, with more coming all the time. SMPlayer aims to be a unified front end for MPlayer, simplifying access to basic features such as playing videos and DVDs while still enabling advanced features like filters. We recently tried SMPlayer Portable, a fully portable version of SMPlayer.
"Portable" in this case means the program will run from any Windows directory without having to be installed or making changes to the registry, including from USB drives and other portable devices. However, the download unpacks much more than just the program's executable file, including text documents and media files. If your extraction tool or method doesn't create a folder for SMPlayer Portable, we recommend creating it yourself and extracting the download's contents to it, and then creating a desktop shortcut to the executable for easy access. If that already sounds too fiddly, you might have a point, but it's worth sticking with.
As for SMPlayer Portable's performance, it's essentially identical to the installed version, and they share the same interface, a well-rendered player window with basic controls along the bottom and many more features and options in a toolbar along the top of the window. And, as is the case with SMPlayer and MPlayer, it did a terrific job of rendering our videos, too. We could open files, DVDs that were in our drive tray or copied to a folder, and URLs. Large buttons gave us quick access to Audio and Subtitle controls. SMPlayer succeeds in its goal of providing an easy-to-use front end that doesn't compromise MPlayer's capabilities.SMPlayer Portable - Play audio and video files and YouTube videos without any additional codecs - Download Video Previews:
From Ricardo Villalba:
SMPlayer is a free multimedia player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats. It doesn't need any external codecs. Just install SMPlayer and you'll be able to play all formats without the hassle to find and install codec packs. One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave. don't worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume. SMPlayer can also play, search and download Youtube videos. Other features: * Automatically find and download subtitles. * Thumbnail generator. * Audio and video filters. * Skins. * Available in more than 30 languages.
More Products to Consider
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Play audio and video files in this media-player.
- View all your HD movies and enjoy the best quality.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Back up media to Blu-ray discs and access your media via HTTP p...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Enhance context menu of Windows Explorer.
- Add watermarks to your videos.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Convert MTS and other popular video/audio files to any video an...
- Create macros and edit text in scripting-oriented editor suppor...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Convert MKV videos to AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4 for playback on popula...
- Clean your hard disk and remove junk files with automatic mode ...
- Convert all video/audio formats with high definition and top sp...
- Convert between HD videos, convert HD video to SD video and pic...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert your AVI files into MP4/FLV/MOV/WMV/3GP/MP3 formats.
- Convert general videos and HD videos to your desired HD formats...
- Find and remove similar musical files.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content