SMARTReporter is an application that can warn you of some hard disk drive failures before they actually happen! It does so by periodically polling the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard disk drive. S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) is a technology built into most modern hard disk drives that acts as an "early warning system" for pending hard disk drive problems. SMARTReporter can notify you of impending hard disk drive failures by sending e-mails, displaying a warning dialog or executing an application. The current status of your hard disk drives is always displayed through the customizable menu item. Because SMARTReporter relies on the S.M.A.R.T. implementation of Mac OS X, it only supports ATA, SATA or eSATA hard disk drives, if you want S.M.A.R.T. support for your FireWire hard disk drive, send feedback to Apple. Please note that a S.M.A.R.T. alert doesn't mean that your HDD will completely fail for sure, nor can S.M.A.R.T. catch all possible HDD errors - it's just a very valuable indicator.
What's new in this version:
- Fix problem where false I/O errors could be reported under Mac OS X 10.8
- Fix problem that nothing would be written to the log-file on the first launch
- Fix problem where I/O errors occurring on Disk Images would be reported
- Fix e-mail problem notification being delayed until the alert notification is dismissed
- Fix support for S.M.A.R.T. checking disks contained in a "SoftRAID"
- Add information about configuration problems to the menu... See all new features »