CNET Editors' note: You will be taken to a third-party site to complete your download. Using P2P and file-sharing software to distribute copyrighted material without authorization is illegal in the United States and many other countries. CBS Interactive does not encourage or condone the illegal duplication or distribution of copyrighted content.
CNET Editors' review
Many of us have used peer-to-peer file-sharing programs that allow us to connect to networks with thousands of other users, sharing music, movies, and more. What if you could take that same concept and shrink it down so that the only people on the network were the ones you invited? Retroshare allows you to do just that. This simple program lets users create private file-sharing networks for the easy transfer of files between friends, family, or co-workers--and no one else.
The program's interface is plain and intuitive, with its major features represented by graphical buttons. Adding other people to the network isn't as easy as some other programs make it--Retroshare users must exchange XPGP certificates and enter them manually--but the process isn't too difficult. Users then simply select the folders that they want to share, and other users can browse through them and download files at their leisure. The program has an array of cool features, including built-in chat, messaging, and forums, all of which are as secure as the file-sharing. We were a little confused by the News Feed button; we thought perhaps that Retroshare had an RSS reader, but there didn't seem to be any way to add new feeds, and this feature wasn't addressed at all in the brief Help file. Other than that, though, we found the program to be easy to use and quite efficient for sharing files with other trusted users.
Retroshare is free. The program installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to all users.
RetroShare is an open-source cross-platform, private, and secure decentralized communication platform. It lets you securely chat and share files with your friends and family, using a web-of-trust to authenticate peers and OpenSSL to encrypt all communication. RetroShare provides file-sharing, chat, messages, forums and channels.
More Products to Consider
- Find, download, and discover torrents easily.Sponsored Products
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Download and manage torrent files.Sponsored Products
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads by up to 5 tim...
- Play, stream, and share files on P2P, the cloud, and your local...Sponsored Products
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Download files faster and safer with your Web and Windows appli...
- Store your multiple files online.Sponsored Products
- Download videos from YouTube and increase download speeds by up...
- Download video and music from YouTube.
- Search for torrents on several of bit torrents sites/databases.Sponsored Products
- Search, download, store, and view files full screen.Sponsored Products
- Find, download, and share media files.Sponsored Products
- Share your files over multiple P2P networks, but through your b...Sponsored Products
- Search for torrents files on all torrent sites using the toolba...
- Search the Internet for torrent files, and download and upload ...Sponsored Products
- Play the downloading file without waiting for the complete down...Sponsored Products
- Search for popular BitTorrent or uTorrent sites for files.Sponsored Products
- Save videos from the Web to your PC, iPod, and iPhone.
- Get a P2P tunnel library with various features.
- Share files over the Web, and connect to and search through mul...Sponsored Products
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Not worth it as it is"
Version: Retroshare 0.5.4e
File sharing functionality usable.
-Offline orivate messages unusable. From what I experienced private messages to your friends are only sent directly (when both peers are online), totally disappointing.
-Mail unusable. In the mail functionality it seems that if the sender deletes the mail all recipients get that mail deleted.
-Forum unusable. In the forum functionality Thread titles are not editable in any circumstance.
Creators should deliver something other than filesharing that actually works on P2P and perhaps put less thought in the about box.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: