CNET Editors' review
Rapid Typing Tutor may be a good program to help novice typists improve, but experienced typists looking to increase their speed may be frustrated by the program's interface.
The program contains a series of lessons that scroll across the screen as the user types. Users can choose from lessons consisting of letters, syllables, capital letters, digits and symbols, or text. As each lesson scrolls across, a keyboard diagram shows an outline of hands moving to the appropriate key. Users type through each lesson and are then shown their scores on speed, accuracy, and arrhythmic input. The main problem with the interface is that experienced typists tend to scan ahead in the text they're typing from, focusing on words or phrases rather than individual letters. Rapid Typing Tutor allows users to see no more than a few characters ahead. And since the speed of the scroll depends on the speed of the typist, those who are already fairly quick may find that the blur of text flying across the screen is hard to process visually. Users who are just getting familiar with the keyboard layout likely won't be bothered by this, but they may grow increasingly frustrated as their speed increases.
In general the interface could be more intuitive, but most users should be able to figure it out. Users can create lessons, but it doesn't seem possible to cut and paste text from elsewhere into a new lesson, which is disappointing. Installation and uninstallation are trouble-free. For free software without limitations, this program is a boon to aspiring typists. More advanced keyboardists may wish to look elsewhere.
From Typing Tutor Labs:
Rapid Typing Tutor is an innovative, feature-packed, and free touch typing tutor. Rapid Typing Tutor it supports nearly all known languages, including all European languages, Urdu, Thai, Sanskrit, Hindi, and Arabian. It also supports all existing keyboard layouts, including Dvorak, Dvorak for left or right hand, Colemak, BEPO, ABNT and a number of others, so users are not limited to learning to type in a single language using a single standard layout. The virtual keyboard of Rapid Typing is color-coded for better navigation and has virtual hands for extra realism. The program offers lessons for novices, advanced users and experts, so everyone will find a way to test their skills and improve them. Other notable features of the program include special lessons for the numeric keypad and special marks, saving of learning statistics and users' progress, a possibility to create custom lessons and modify standard ones, support for multiple users and import of touch typing lessons from plain text and RTF files.
What's new in this version: Version 4.6.3: Metronome improved ( strongly depend on the experience of users ); Lesson Mode "Requires the right character type": Pressing BACKSPACE deletes only the last error ( without moving cursor ); The button-link to the "Typing Games" page( "About" dialog box ) added; "Right-hand" finger scheme fixed.
More Products to Consider
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Convert ePub, HTML, XML files to PDF file.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Calculate Muslim prayer time and Qiblah direction anywhere in t...
- Read the CBR files.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a specific mood or exper...
- Solve differential equations on your PC.
- Encode several chemical similarity indices.
- Encode several chemical similarity indices.
- Estimate toxic hazard of chemical compounds.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 149 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Complete with spyware"
Version: Rapid Typing Tutor 4.6.3
None that I am aware of.
The copy I downloaded wanted to install something called the blekko search toolbar before it would let me install the typing software; I deleted the download instead.
Either it's infected or it forces you to install unadvertised spyware. Either way, avoid.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content