CNET Editors' review
Digital Domain's Qimage isn't meant to replace a full-featured photo editor or graphics application. However, its combination of professional quality and useful "on-the-fly" tools make it a go-to printing and editing tool. Qimage is available in several versions; we looked at Qimage Pro and the top-of-the-line Qimage Studio. They're basically the same tool, but the Studio package offers more features, chief among them the ability to edit raw, undeveloped images.
Qimage has a stylishly skinned interface that automatically resizes its sections, though you can configure the layout manually, too. Qimage uses the basic formulation common to photo editors, with a browsing pane; thumbnail panel for files and print queues; main window and templates; icon-based toolbars; and some function-specific views such as print and job properties. The program opened with a display of the folders in our Pictures directory. Since Qimage claims to excel at printing images, we selected something hard to get right, namely high-resolution macros of colored glass. Icon-based navigation made it a cinch to build a queue of images as well as select orientation, background colors, spacing, and more; the Print Properties panel made short work of selecting the output options. Qimage even automatically identified and selected our target printer. Final print quality depends on your printer, of course, but we had no complaints with the output. Qimage has some nifty extras, too, like the Menu Cheater, a simple dialog that gives quick access to commonly used commands. It also boasts ICC color management, a "Flash Card" copy/move feature, and wide-format capability, among other features. A 10-minute tutorial, PDF-based online manual, and built-in, selectable Context Sensitive Help make for easy answers to most questions.
Qimage comes with free lifetime upgrades, something we like very much indeed and wish other software publishers would offer. Highly recommended.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Qimage Pro 2010.209. The trial version is limited to 30 days.
Qimage Pro is a application that has grown from its simple roots of printing multiple images on a single page, to being one of the most frequently referred to and highly recommended digital image applications in the world. Qimage Pro is designed to make image printing easy and painless by eliminating the need to re sample images to higher resolutions, manually place images on printed pages, make touch ups and apply filters in separate photo editors, etc. For a purchase price that is a mere fraction of the cost of high end photo editors, you get an application that is capable of producing professional quality prints that exceed the quality of nearly all other photo printing applications, even high end (read incredibly expensive) photo editors. Although not designed to be (or replace) a full featured photo editor, the majority of the time you will find that Qimage Pro is the only tool you need to enhance and print your digital images. With high quality image noise filtering, blemish and redeye removal, rotation, Lanczos print interpolation, and many other on the fly tools, Qimage Pro may make many of your other digital imaging tools obsolete.
What's new in this version: Version 2010.210 has raw support for 27 new camera models and updated video driver support for all editions.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Convert and resize thousands images with just a few mouse click...
- The Ultimate Web Graphics Cataloger.
- Make unique collages for memorable occasions with your own phot...
- Create flash banners with various special effects.
- Create photo collages from your digital images.
- Edit and decorate your favorite digital photos.
- Enhance and edit your image files.
- Create Web sites and photo albums without any HTML knowledge.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excelent product for producing final print file"
Version: Qimage Pro 2010.210
Optimize pix for print resolution (up or down)
Can be awkward to use (lots of features I never use)
Print is always better using this, than not.