CNET Editors' review
Digital video is a wonderful thing -- until it's not. With so many different file formats out there, you're bound to run into one that either doesn't work with your media player or is otherwise unsuitable for your purposes. Fortunately, there are plenty of programs out there that convert digital video from one format to another. Prism Video File Converter Free is an easy-to-use program that lets you convert video between a variety of popular formats. We weren't crazy about the other stuff it installed, but the program itself was a winner.
Prism Video File Converter Free has an attractive, intuitive interface that we had no trouble figuring out. Buttons across the top give access to the program's features. Converting a video -- or batch of videos -- is as simple as navigating to the desired files, adding them to the list of files to convert, and selecting the desired output format. There are 13 different formats to choose from, including MPEG, AVI, WMV, MOV, and MP4. If you just want to save a video's audio track, you can do that by converting it to an MP3 or WAV file.
We tried converting a variety of different files into other formats and had no problem with any of them. Our only problem was the junk that showed up in our Start menu after we installed Prism Video File Converter Free. A folder called Video Related Programs contained links to download 6 other programs, and another called NCH Software Suite contained 17 more. We don't love it when programs install stuff we didn't ask for, but that's our only real complaint about Prism Video File Converter Free. We found it to be a straightforward, efficient tool for video conversion, and we recommend it.
Prism Video File Converter Free installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.
From NCH Software:
Never have trouble opening a video file again with Prism. Video file formats supported include avi, wmv, mov, mpg, vob, mp4 and other common video file formats. Prism is very easy to use, simply add the files you want to convert to the list, select the format you want to convert to, and click the convert button. Additional video converting features include batch converting, rotating video clips and changing video compression, encoder and frame rate settings. There is also a plus edition of Prism video converter available that supports additional proprietary video formats not supported in the free version, totaling over 30 video formats in all. The free version of this product comes with extra features that will expire after 14 days.
What's new in this version: Version 2.10 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Convert video files from avi, mpg, vob, wmv into avi, asf or wm...
- Convert more than 30 types of video files to MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV...
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Play various media without need for codecs.
- Create burnable WAV files from MP3s.
- Add various effects to RMVB video files.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to MP3 and popular formats.
- Organize your video files and movies.
- Convert files between MP3, WAV, WMA, and OGG formats.
- Mac video file format converter. Convert avi, mov, wmv, 3gp and...
- Edit movies and other video recordings on a Windows PC.
- Convert RM, RA, and RAM files to MP3 or WAV formats swiftly and...
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Be prepared to buy this product every 3 months."
Version: Prism Video Converter Plus 2.01
Does what it says it'd do.
...but does it for only about 3 months. Once the software auto updates itself at any point 3 months after you've purchased a license key, you'll start seeing this message: "Your Trial of Prism Video File Converter Plus has expired - Please buy a copy of the software".
I did buy a copy of the software. I spent $49.99 on the software only 13 months ago. Now the software is completely locked and unusable until I pony up another $34.99 for my special discounted pricing for my upgraded software. Upgraded software I never asked for, or ever attempted to download on my own. I located my original registration key and attempted to reauthorize my product, but was told that my registration key was for an older product (that I never attempted to replace in the first place).
Think Prism's FAQ says it all (That they're a thieving website only to milk rubes like me).
The FAQ on Prism's website about this issues says this:
Problems when moving or updating license
FAQ: I get the error that 'this Registration Code is not valid for this version of software'
This means the Registration Code you have is older than the product you are trying to enter it into. Our program versions are updated regularly and your serial number purchased is valid for the version available for download at that time, and new releases for 3 months after. We suggest rolling back to your previous version via your backup. Anything outside this time frame requires an upgrade - see www.nch.com.au/upgrade
"Installs too much bloatware"
Version: Prism Video Converter Plus 1.82
It works for what it is intended to do.
It installs many links to download other programs, such as when right clicking on a JPG, it gives the option to "Convert picture file." When clicked on, it says "Downloading program..." and gives no option to cancel the download. It adds two folders in the start menu full of links (10-20) to download other Prism software. Uninstall is inconvenient, and does not remove all links.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content