Prey User Reviews
Results 1-1 of 1
"Works on Mac even without logging in"
Version: Prey 0.5.9
1. Easy to install
2. Web interface easy to manage
3. Tracks a mac even when the computer is logged out.
1. Missing computer has to connect to the Internet. So, make sure you provide a guest account for the thief to be enticed to log in and connect to a WiFi spot.
2. The free version makes you wait for reports to be generated and sent at regular intervals. You cannot set an interval of less than 10 minutes. A bit annoying.
3. Sometimes it does not generate a report. I don't know why that happens. People on forums had similar problems with it.
I found prey to be as good as if not better than other paid applications. It worked reliably on my Mac laptop. I was most impressed that it sent a geo-location, captured a screen shot and a webcam image even when the computer was logged out of any account! However, the computer has to be connected to a WiFi spot for all this to work. Obviously, if someone is savvy enough to first remove the disk and wipe it, you are out of luck. Most thieves, however, are not that smart. SSD disks and the pentalobe screws on the new MacBooks make the issue of removing the disk even more cumbersome.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
You must be 13 years of age or older to submit personal information to CNET Networks. In compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, CNET Networks does not accept name and e-mail address information from users who are under 13 years of age.
All submitted ratings and written comments become the sole property of CNET Networks, Inc. (CNET) and may be used at CNET Networks' sole discretion. Ratings and written comments are generally posted within two to four business days in batch groups, not in real time. However, CNET Networks reserves the right to remove or refuse to post any submission for any reason. You acknowledge that you, not CNET Networks, are responsible for the contents of your submission.
CNET Networks is not responsible for the content of the publisher's descriptions or user reviews on this site. We encourage you to determine whether this product or your intended use is legal. We do not encourage or condone the use of any software in violation of applicable laws. CNET Download.com does not sell, resell, or license any of the products listed on the site. We cannot be held liable for issues that arise from the download or use of these products.