CNET Editors' review
Practical Scriptwriter is a word processor optimized for scriptwriting. It includes a wide range of script formats as well as tools designed to make it easy to start writing with little or no experience. It can produce results good enough to submit for consideration in TV, movies, and other media, although you must provide the content; it doesn't create characters, plots, or action. What it does do is take on the formatting and housekeeping chores so that you can concentrate on writing.
The program's interface differs from most other word processors, or applications in general, for that matter, with a highly efficient and attractive layout. Wizards, tips, and many extras populate the Tools menu. A pop-up project manager dialog makes it easy to select your project; we chose the sample script, "Little Red Riding Hood." The text display is interactive; clicking a header calls up a Scene Header box that lets you easily reorder and manipulate lines or whole scenes. The Story Outliner is cool; you can drag and place sticky notes with plot elements around a board for a visual display of how the script's elements relate to each other. The online Help file and all documentation are written in this British developer's native English.
This program works in Windows 7, Vista, and XP. The free trial version disables its Print and Export features, meaning you can try everything it can do, but you'll need to buy it to use the results. We recommend Practical Scriptwriter to all dramatists, from dilettante to professional.
Practical Scriptwriter is a standalone scriptwriting and formatting application developed in conjunction with professional writers and education to remove the burden of script formatting and allow writers to concentrate on writing.Start writing without any knowledge of script formats, or even which media your work is destined for. Script formats for Movies, TV, Stage and Radio are supported.As the writing process involves much rewriting and editing, Practical Scriptwriter makes changing a script easy, with no need to think about 'breaking' the formatting.Additional features include: Script Notes, Character Notes, exporting to RTF, PDF and HTML
What's new in this version: Version 2 brings a completely redesigned new product. Supports BBC and Hollywood Script Formats.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Turn your ideas directly into screenplays without professional ...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Provide a C/C++ interpreter for scripting, numerical computing,...
- Write screenplays and other dramatic scripts with the help of w...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create complete SQL scripts.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Convert any Windows file into PDF document.
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Deliver professional PDF communications; share information more...
- Create Internet Explorer toolbars.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Create your script or screenplay in fast mode avoiding structur...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create professional-looking drop down menus for your web site w...
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Embed screen captures into your Live Writer post.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Organize files, convert texts, and write script files.